Layer your vitamin-C rich fruits in this scrumptious salad!
We could write volumes about vitamin C and its multitude of health benefits. It famously supports our immune systems, and may be an effective weapon against the severity and duration of the symptoms of the common cold. An antioxidant, vitamin C fights free radicals, reactive molecules that can do damage to our cells and tissues, which can aid in preventing certain types of cancer. Plus, it aids in the absorption of iron, a notoriously hard to absorb mineral, and protects against heart disease.
And since vitamin C is not produced naturally in the human body, and is water soluble, and therefore leaves the body quickly, it’s important to maintain a high level of vitamin C in our daily diets. Lucky for us, vitamin C is found in some of the most delicious foods available. That’s where our delectable Super-C Salad comes in.
We’ve combined our very favorite sources of vitamin C in a salad recipe that has its base in citrus fruits, but adds a unique flair to your basic citrus salad with some unexpected ingredients! We start out with grapefruits, those tangy, vitamin C-rich citrus fruits that make any salad bright and colorful with their rich red flesh. We layer on juicy oranges – choose the variety that’s in season at your local grocery store. Clementines and tangerines make up the third tier of citrus fruits. Then we add the sweet, anise-flavored fennel, crunchy pomegranate seeds and pine nuts, and refreshing mint. Just a bit of extra virgin olive oil and salt bring out the intense flavors of this tangy, vitamin-C filled salad.
- 2 grapefruits peeled and sliced into wheels, all white pith trimmed off
- 6 oranges (blood, navel, or Valencia) peeled and sliced into wheels, all white pith trimmed off
- 8 clementines or tangerines, peeled and sliced into wheels, all white pith trimmed off
- 1 cup pomegranate seeds
- 1 fennel bulb top stalks and fronds removed, cut into thin slices
- 4 tablespoons pine nuts
- 8 mint leaves fresh, coarsely chopped (optional)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt any salt is fine but good sea salt is especially nice here
- On a serving plate, arrange the slices of grapefruit, oranges and clementines or tangerines.
- Sprinkle the fennel, pine nuts, pomegranate seeds, and mint.
- Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil and sprinkle with salt.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
Make sure that you subscribe to our daily newsletter, so that you don’t miss out on anything Skinny Ms.