This super veggie lasagna takes only minutes to prepare and is a family favorite. It is a healthy lasagna, packed with vegetables, and lacking much of the saturated fat and sodium found in traditional lasagnas. Our recipe makes every effort to retain the delicious taste of an Italian favorite, but you can enjoy it guilt-free because we have cleaned it up. This veggie lasagna recipe is sure to be a family favorite for many years to come.
Italian cuisine is one of the most popular options out there, but unfortunately, it is not always great for your health. White pasta is loaded with simple carbohydrates and Italian dishes are usually loaded with cheese. Using canned or jar sauces can also make for an unhealthy dish because these sauces are sometimes packed with preservatives and sugar. This recipe offers a compromise: you get all the convenience of a “quick” lasagna, but the recipe is much healthier than many already out there
Yield: 12 servings | Serving size: 1/12 of the lasagna | Calories: 279 | Total Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 23mg | Sodium: 384mg | Carbohydrates: 37g | Dietary Fiber: 7g | Sugars: 9g | Protein: 17g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 6 |
- 3 cups grated carrots
- 2 cups grated zucchini
- 3 cups frozen spinach
- 1 medium bell pepper, chopped (any color)
- 3-1/4 cups diced fresh tomatoes
- 2 (15-ounce) cans tomato sauce, no salt added (we used Hunt’s brand)
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- Kosher or sea salt to taste
- 1/2 pound brown mushrooms
- 1 (12-ounce) package whole-wheat lasagna noodles, cooked to package directions
- 1 1/2 cups grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 8 ounces grated mozzarella (2 cups)
- Chopped fresh basil for garnish (optional)
- Combine all ingredients, except the noodles and cheeses, in a large mixing bowl. Stir well to combine. Layer in a lightly greased 9x13-inch baking dish: noodles, 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, 1/2 the veggie mix, noodles, 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, remaining veggie mix, noodles, remaining Parmesan cheese, and all the mozzarella. Bake at 350° for 40 minutes. Garnish with a bit of fresh, chopped basil, if desired. This recipe is featured in our new cookbook, Skinny Ms. Superfoods...check it out here!
For more delicious and nutritious recipes from SkinnyMs., check out our SkinnyMs. Recipe Collection of 101 Fan Favorites.
What’s in your favorite lasagna recipe? Leave us a comment below.