A fun easy lettuce wrap perfect for summer barbecues!
Need a new, fun way to use barbecue sauce? Here’s a good one: sweet potato and BBQ chicken lettuce wraps! These low carb wraps incorporate all your favorites like sweet potatoes, diced chicken, and barbecue sauce in a healthier way. Ditch the taco shells, tortillas, and hamburger buns for lettuce leaves! It’s just as good, but even better for you. The lettuce wraps make the dish nice and light without leaving you bloated after the meal. Substituting something like a lettuce wrap into a dish allows for the other flavors from the meat and the veggies to be a little more prominent. This dish can be made pretty easily by baking the sweet potatoes, cooking the onion and the chicken, tossing it into BBQ sauce, and finally, wrapping it into lettuce. Doesn’t that sound easy?
Sweet Potato and BBQ Chicken Lettuce Wrap
- 1 sweet potato large, diced into medium cubes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 12 ounces boneless and skinless chicken breasts diced into medium cubes
- 1/4 cup yellow onion minced
- 1/2 cup BBQ sauce no sugar added
- 12 lettuce leaves large, options include bibb, butter, or iceberg
- 1/4 cup green onions diced small
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Toss the diced sweet potatoes in 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes until potato cubes are soft and just beginning to char on the edges. Remove from oven and set aside.
- While the potatoes are roasting, heat remaining one tablespoon of olive oil on medium heat in a large skillet. Once hot, add the diced chicken and cook until chicken is cooked through and no pink remains. Drain off any liquid in the pan and add the onions. Continue to cook until onions are soft. Reduce heat to low and add the cooked sweet potatoes and the BBQ sauce and heat until bubbly.
- Scoop about 2 to 3 tablespoons of the chicken and potato mixture into each lettuce leaf. Sprinkle green onion on top and serve hot.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms