A superfood rich in omega-3 fatty acids, chia seeds add flavor and texture to these healthy sweet potato pancakes. Richly spiced, these hearty sweet potato pancakes with chia are easy to prepare for a weekend breakfast. Feel free to substitute pumpkin or other squash for equally delicious results.
Yields: 8 servings | Serving Size: 3 pancakes|Calories: 298| Total Fat: 17 g | Saturated Fat: 14 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Cholesterol: 0 mg | Sodium: 240 mg | Carbohydrates: 34 g | Dietary Fiber: 4 g | Sugars: 6 g | Protein: 5g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 13
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 1 small sweet potato, baked and cooled
- 2 cups almond milk
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 cups whole-wheat flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- Add the chia seeds in a bowl with 1/4 cup water. Set aside.
- Add the sweet potato, almond milk, and honey in a blender and blend until smooth. Add the dry ingredients and blend until just combined. Add the chia seed mixture and pulse until mixed.
- Heat a nonstick skillet or griddle to medium heat. Add the coconut oil and pour 2-3 tablespoons per pancake into the skillet. Cook until browned on both sides. Serve with additional chia seeds and maple syrup.
For superfood recipe ideas and healthy breakfasts, lunches, and dinners, check us out on social media! Be sure to subscribe to our newsletter. Check out our Facebook page and follow us on Pinterest for tasty recipes, clean eating tips, and healthy lifestyle resources.