The idea of this sweet potato hummus came from one of my favorite snacks. I like to spread hummus on a piece of crostini bread and top it with a slice of roasted (or slow-cooked) sweet potato. So since I love the taste of this combination, I decided to make my usual homemade hummus, with garbanzo beans, adding steamed sweet potatoes to it. You get the nutty flavor from Tahini and the sweetness from the potatoes…mmm you’ll have to force yourself to stop eating this delicious hummus. Join Meriem of Skinny Simple Recipes for more delicious creations. Find her on Pinterest and Twitter too.
Sweet Potato Hummus
- 1 cup sweet potatoes peeled and diced
- 19 ounces garbanzo beans canned - rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice fresh squeezed
- 1/4 cup tahini sesame paste
- 5 garlic cloves roasted or raw
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Steam or slow cook the sweet potatoes until soft.
- Transfer cooked sweet potatoes to a food processor. Add garbanzo beans, lemon juice, Tahini, garlic (I used roasted), olive oil, cumin, salt and about 2 tbsp of water to start with.
- Pulse the mixture until smooth, scraping down the sides of bowl and adding water to thin mixture if it seems too thick.
- Adjust seasoning and serve with a drizzle of olive oil and don’t forget to sprinkle some paprika. Sweet Potato Hummus makes a perfect dip or spread.