Make this spiced granola recipe for yourself, or put it together for gifts! Place the spiced granola in a jar and seal with a lid to give to friends, coworkers, or family as little holiday presents. This granola is made extra tasty with toasted pecan pieces, amaranth, anise and other spices.
Eating granola is a yummy way to add oats to your diet, which add fiber and help keep your blood sugar stabilized, keeping you full longer with a steady stream of energy. This granola can be a crunchy topping on yogurt, eaten alone, or with milk as a breakfast cereal.
Amaranth, though not enjoying the popularity of quinoa, should be tried out and the little grains add a mildly peppery, nutty flavor, making it the perfect recipe to introduce anyone to amaranth. It contains high amount of protein, and is such an amazing grain that we listed it as Number 3 in our Top 10 Good Mood Foods list.
Yields: 24 servings (3 pint sized jars or 5 to 6 cups granola) | Serving Size: 1/4 cup | Calories: 199 | Total Fat: 8 g | Saturated Fats: 1 g | Trans Fats: 0 g | Cholesterol: 0 mg | Sodium: 32 mg | Carbohydrates: 29 g | Dietary Fiber: 3 g | Sugars: 6 g | Protein: 5 g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 7
- 3 cups old-fashioned rolled oats (not instant oats)
- 1 cup amaranth (optional)
- 1 cup walnut or pecan pieces
- 1/4 cup canola, optional coconut oil
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground anise
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup dried cranberries, optional dried apricots or raisins
- 1 cup chopped dark chocolate pieces (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Spray a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray or line it with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl combine the oil, honey and vanilla.
- In a large mixing bowl combine well, the oats, amaranth, pecans, salt, anise, cinnamon, and cardamom. Add the honey mixture and stir to combine. Spread the granola onto a rimmed baking sheet. Bake for approximately 30 minutes or until golden. Stir granola every 10 minutes to prevent over browning.
- Remove from the granola from the oven and allow to cool completely before stiring in the cranberries and (optional) dark chocolate.
- Place cooled granola in jars if using for gifts and seal with lids. Otherwise, store in an airtight container. Granola should store well for about 2 months.
For more delicious and nutritious recipes from SkinnyMs., check out our SkinnyMs. Recipe Collection of 101 Fan Favorites.
Do you have a favorite SkinnyMs. recipe? We’d love to hear about it. Tell us what you think in the comments section below.