Add some flair to your next lunch break with this refreshingly, light Mediterranean meal. Mediterranean food is great, because it is full of flavor and keeps the grease and oil to a minimum, making it really healthy for you. Don’t feel bad about eating this tabouleh salad with whole wheat crisps. If anything, it will give you the right amount of energy to keep you going about your day!
The meal itself consists of three parts: the dressing, the salad, and the whole wheat pita crisps. It may sound like a handful, but it’s actually pretty simple to make! The dressing simply requires all the ingredients to be placed in a food processor and then combined until the right consistency. The salad works pretty much the same way. Just combine all the fresh ingredients and toss well with the dressing. Finally, make the crisps by cutting whole wheat pitas into triangles and then baking them in the oven with a little seasoning. Voila! You are done with your meal. If you want, you can make larger quantities and use them throughout the week too!
Note on serving size – 6 pita triangles equals about 3/4 of a regular size pita.
Yields: 4 servings | Serving Size: 1 1/2 cups salad and 6 pita triangles | Calories: 386 | Total Fat: 23g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 17mg | Sodium: 503mg | Carbohydrates: 39g | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 9g | Protein: 9g | SmartPoints: 13
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 3 teaspoons fresh oregano, chopped
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 1/2 cup quinoa, cooked
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved length wise
- 2 cups cucumber, cut into large chunks (about the size of a cherry tomato)
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup red onion, cut into thin strips
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 1/2 cup low fat crumbled feta cheese
- 3 thin whole wheat pitas, cut into 8 triangles
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Combine all ingredients, except oil, in a food processor and blend well. With the food running on low speed, gradually add the oil and mix until dressing is creamy in appearance. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine all ingredients. Drizzle about 1/4 cup of the prepared dressing over the top and toss well. Divide salad between 4 servings bowls.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lay the pita triangles in a single layer on a baking sheet. Brush with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and garlic powder. Bake for about 10 minutes or until lightly golden and crispy. Cool before serving with salad. Serve crush on top of the salad or on the side.