Ever wonder how to make a classic recipe a little healthier? The best alternative is to opt for baking over frying. This delicious Teriyaki Chicken recipe just does that! Since the chicken and rice are baked, their flavors come together beautifully without half the oil and fat. Plus, you don’t have to worry about anything being undercooked, because the veggies, the meat, and the rice are all prepared individually but cooked together inside the oven.
The best part about this bake is the sauce. This homemade sauce is made from simple household ingredients that when boiled together, reduce down to this sweet and savory syrup. Give this recipe a spin and make to sure to eat it hot! This will become a new family favorite.
Yields: 6 servings | Calories: 381 | Total Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 65mg | Sodium: 826mg | Carbohydrates: 53g | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 25g | Protein: 19g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 14
- 1/2 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup honey, (add 1/4 more honey for a sweeter sauce)
- 3/4 cup cold water
- 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons corn starch
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup yellow onion, diced large
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, minced
- 1 cup small broccoli florets
- 1/2 cup shredded carrot
- 1 cup snow peas, cut in half
- 3 cups cooked brown rice
- In a small sauce pot, combing the soy sauce, honey, 1/2 cup of the water, ginger, and garlic powder. Bring to a boil. While the sauce is boiling, combine the last 1/4 cup of water and corn starch in a small bowl. Whisk well and gradually pour into the boiling sauce, stirring the sauce constantly. Reduce to a simmer, and continue to stir the sauce until thickened. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray a 9X13 inch casserole dish with non-stick spray and set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat the sesame oil on medium heat. Once hot add the chicken, and cook until golden on the outside. Add onion and garlic then saute until onions soften, about 5 minutes.
- Add the rice and remaining ingredients. Stir in the sauce, until all ingredients are coated, then pour into prepared baking dish. Bake for 30 minutes or until chicken is cooked through and veggies tender, but not mushy. Serve immediately.