Our healthy twist on this take-out favorite tastes even better than the original recipe!
Most of us can agree: Chinese take-out is delicious! And while it tastes good, unfortunately, it’s not very good for you. Luckily, there are almost always ways to put a healthy spin on your favorite recipe! One way to do this is to make sauces and dressings from scratch. Another great, calorie-reducing method is to opt for baking over frying anytime that you can. This teriyaki chicken bake does both of these things, and the results are delicious!
Homemade is Healthier!
The first step to making this delicious teriyaki chicken bake is to prepare your own sauce. Bottled sauces often come with a long list of mysterious ingredients, so making your own allows you to know and control exactly what goes into your food and body. Our homemade teriyaki sauce is made from a combination of six simple ingredients: Low-sodium soy sauce, honey, water, ground ginger, garlic powder, and cornstarch. Once your sauce is ready, set it aside to prepare the bake!
For this teriyaki chicken bake recipe, we briefly cook the chicken in one tablespoon of sesame oil to give the outside a beautiful golden color. This method greatly reduces the amount of fat and calories that are present in traditional recipes where the chicken is fully submerged in oil. Next, the onion and garlic are added to the pan to enhance the flavor of the chicken!
After allowing the garlic and onion to meld with the chicken for about 5 minutes, add your cooked brown rice and veggies to the pan with the chicken. Stir in the sauce until all of the ingredients are mixed well and evenly coated. Finally, pour the mixture into your prepared baking dish. Bake at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for about 30 minutes until your chicken is cooked through and the veggies are the perfect texture!
Let’s Take a Look at This Teriyaki Chicken Bake’s Nutrients!
Any healthy, well-rounded meal always contains a few specific things. First, you should always aim to get at least a little bit of protein in every meal. This particular dish offers 22 grams of lean, muscle-building protein! Getting sufficient amounts of protein throughout the day will help keep you full and satisfied!
Speaking of feeling full and satisfied, each serving of this dish also offers 43 grams of carbohydrates. This macronutrient often gets a bad rap, but it is essential for long-lasting energy. In this particular dish, the majority of the healthy complex carbs come from the brown rice. If you need energy for hours, you need complex carbs!
The final major macronutrient to acknowledge is fat. Each serving of this teriyaki chicken bake contains just 5 grams of fat, which is pretty low. Especially when you compare it to the high-fat takeout alternatives.
Overall, this well-rounded bake comes in at 305 calories per serving. It’s an excellent option for a healthy dinner any night of the week. Plus, the leftovers always taste just as amazing. Enjoy!
Teriyaki Chicken Bake Recipe
Teriyaki Chicken Bake
For the Sauce
- 1/2 cup soy sauce low-sodium
- 1/4 cup honey (add 1/4 more honey for a sweeter sauce)
- 3/4 cup water cold
- 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
For the Bake
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 pound boneless and skinless chicken breasts cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup yellow onion diced large
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 2 teaspoons ginger fresh, minced
- 1 cup broccoli florets small
- 1/2 cup carrots shredded
- 1 cup snow peas cut in half
- 3 cups brown rice cooked
For the Sauce
- In a small sauce pot, combine the soy sauce, honey, 1/2 cup of the water, ginger, and garlic powder. Bring to a boil. While the sauce is boiling, combine the last 1/4 cup of water and cornstarch in a small bowl. Whisk well and gradually pour into the boiling sauce, stirring the sauce constantly. Reduce to a simmer, and continue to stir the sauce until thickened. Remove from heat and set aside.
For the Bake
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Spray a 9X13 inch casserole dish with non-stick spray and set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat the sesame oil on medium heat. Once hot, add the chicken and cook until golden on the outside. Add onion and garlic, then saute until onions soften, about 5 minutes.
- Add the rice and the remaining ingredients. Stir in the sauce until all ingredients are coated, then pour into the prepared baking dish. Bake for 30 minutes or until chicken is cooked through and veggies are tender but not mushy. Serve immediately.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
What do you think? Are you going to try this teriyaki chicken bake? If so, be sure to share your thoughts with us in the comment section below!
If you enjoyed this delicious Asian-inspired meal, we think you might also like to try these tasty take-out alternatives:
- 6-Ingredient Chinese Chicken
- One Pan General Tso’s Chicken with Broccoli
- 6-Ingredient Orange Chicken
- Flavorful Vegetable Teriyaki Stir-Fry
- Chicken Teriyaki Rice Bowl
- Teriyaki Shrimp Lettuce Wraps
Follow us on Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest for more healthy recipes, weight-loss tips, and advice for healthy living. Be sure to subscribe to our eNewsletter for the latest recipes, fitness and more!
Have you made this teriyaki chicken bake recipe? Leave us a comment in the comments section!