Just like takeout, but it won't blow your diet!
This delicious One Pan General Tso’s Chicken with Broccoli is bound to become one of your new go-to meals. It’s just as tasty as it is simple to make. Because it only requires one pan, clean-up is super easy, too. If you’re in the mood for a slightly sweet, salty, and spicy dish, our clean-eating take on this classic Chinese recipe is a wonderful option.
Your Favorite Chinese Takeout Dish, Made Healthier
We love taking unhealthy recipes and placing a healthy, lower-calorie spin on them (especially Chinese takeout recipes). Doing so not only helps you to stick to your diet, but it also allows you to continue eating the foods that you love most!
Most General Tso’s chicken takeout recipes are deep-fried in unhealthy fats and loaded with sodium. In fact, typical takeout versions contain over 85 grams of fat and 2,300 mg of sodium per order. This yummy homemade recipe only contains 7 grams of fat and 728 mg of sodium per serving. Much healthier, but just as delicious!
A Low-Calorie Dish with All of the Classic Flavors
While the oven preheats, you’ll prepare the sweet and savory homemade sauce that gives this dish it’s incredible flavor. In a small bowl, combine the sesame oil, salt, black pepper, minced garlic, soy sauce, honey, rice vinegar, crushed red pepper, and fresh ginger.
Line a baking sheet with foil to make clean-up even easier. Place your cut up chicken chunks on one side of the pan and the broccoli florets on the other. Carefully pour the sauce over the chicken and broccoli, mixing it gently to make sure everything is evenly coated. Place the sheet in the oven and bake for approximately 8 to 10 minutes. Pull the sheet out of the oven and carefully flip the chicken and broccoli. Then, place it back into the oven for another 8 to 10 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked all the way through.
This recipe contains 27 grams of protein and only 12 carbs, qualifying it as a low-carb dish. You can enjoy the chicken and broccoli on its own, or you can also serve it over brown rice or quinoa for a more filling meal!
One Pan General Tso's Chicken with Broccoli
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 3 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger grated
- 1 pound boneless and skinless chicken breast cut into 1 inch chunks
- 4 cups broccoli cut into medium sized florets
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a small bowl, combine all ingredients except the chicken and broccoli. Mix well.
- Line a baking sheet with foil, spread the chicken on half the baking sheet and spread the broccoli on the second half. Drizzle the seasoning mixture over the chicken and broccoli. Gently toss to coat the chicken and broccoli on all sides.
- Bake for 8 minutes, remove from the oven and stir. Return to the oven and cook for about 8 more minutes or until chicken is cooked through and broccoli begins to brown. Serve hot over brown rice or quinoa (optional).
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
Are you going to try this One Pan General Tso’s Chicken with Broccoli recipe? If you do, be sure to let us know what you thought! If you enjoy it, you may also like these healthy takeout-inspired recipes:
- 6-Ingredient Orange Chicken
- Baked Vegetable Spring Rolls
- Slow Cooker Lo Mein
- Slow Cooker Takeout Beef and Broccoli
- Restaurant-Style Chicken Fried Rice
Remember to follow us on Pinterest to stay up-to-date on all of our yummiest and healthiest recipes!