Enjoy a healthier, more filling version of fast-food burrito bowls.
Go south of the border and gluten-free with our Tex-Mex Quinoa Bowl! Enjoy a healthier, more filling version of fast-food burrito bowls. We replace canola oil with coconut oil and rice with quinoa, so you can enjoy a truly nutritious meal. Coconut oil has loads of healthy fats, which can help you lose weight and lower your cholesterol. Quinoa provides protein and fiber, which means you will stay full through the evening.
Although superfoods make up the main ingredients in this bowl, it still tastes delicious! You can add your favorite combination of toppings to create a perfectly personalized dinner. So why wait in line for expensive and processed ingredients when you can have something even more delicious right at home?
Tex-Mex Quinoa Bowl
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 cup onion diced
- 2 boneless and skinless chicken breasts raw, sliced into strips
- 3 teaspoons taco seasoning
- 2 tablespoons water
- 3/4 cup corn kernels frozen or fresh
- 2 cups quinoa cooked
- 1 tablespoon lime juice fresh
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese reduced-fat, shredded
- 2 tablespoons cilantro fresh, chopped
- 2 cups tomatoes diced
- 1/2 avocado medium, diced
- 2 tablespoons sour cream fat-free
- In a skillet, heat coconut oil on medium-high heat. Cook the onion and sliced chicken breast. The chicken should be cooked until it's no longer pink. Add two tablespoons taco seasoning, water, and corn. Simmer on low until water has evaporated.
- Place cooked quinoa in a small sauté pan on medium heat. Lightly toss to toast and heat the quinoa through. Add the remaining tablespoon of taco seasoning and lime juice. Remove from heat.
- Spoon quinoa into bowls. Top with chicken and corn mix. Garnish with cheese, cilantro, tomatoes, avocado, and sour cream.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
We need your feedback! Let us know what you thought about this article or anything else on the site.