When the leaves turn colors and begin to fall, who doesn’t love a great chili to warm us up? Thankfully, here is a healthy recipe that has been called the best vegetarian chili recipe out there. This best chili dish is the perfect recipe to warm your tummy on those cold fall nights.
*Thank you to Anjali Shah for this great fall recipe! Anjali is a food writer, health coach, and owner of The Picky Eater, a healthy food and lifestyle blog. Anjali grew up a “whole wheat” girl, but married a “white bread” kind of guy. Hoping to prove that nutritious food could in fact be delicious and desirable, she taught herself how to cook and successfully transformed her husband’s eating habits from a diet of frozen pizzas and Taco Bell to her healthy, yet flavorful recipes made with simple, wholesome ingredients. Through her blog, Anjali shares her passion for tasty, healthy cooking.
Yields: 6 servings | Serving Size: 1-1/2 cups chili | Calories: 227 | Total Fat: 2 g | Saturated Fat: 0 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Cholesterol: 0 mg | Sodium: 1067 mg | Carbohydrates: 44 g | Dietary Fiber: 13 g | Sugars: 8 g | Protein: 12 g | SmartPoints: 7
- 1 can Kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can Black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can Pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1 (28 oz) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 heaping tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp Ghirardelli cocoa powder (unsweetened)
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp (or a bit less) cayenne pepper
- A couple splashes of lite soy sauce (optional, gluten-free Tamari)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Black pepper and paprika to taste
- Chop the garlic, onion, and bell peppers. Sauté lightly over medium-high heat in 1-2 tsp olive oil. Meanwhile, rinse the beans until all of the canning liquid is gone.
- Once the veggies have sautéed for about 5 minutes, add everything else into the pot (tomatoes, beans, spices, etc.). Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 30 min or longer as needed.
- Once the chili is done cooking, top with anything you like. Here are some suggestions: 1 Tbsp reduced-fat cheese, fat-free sour cream or 0% greek yogurt, whole wheat tortilla chips, or Old-Fashioned Cornbread.
Looking for more nutritious vegetarian recipes? Try our list of Vegetarian Recipes that your family will love!
Do you have a favorite vegetarian recipe? Tell us about it in the comments section below!