When the leaves turn colors and begin to fall, who doesn’t love a great chili to warm us up? Thankfully, here is a healthy recipe that has been called the best vegetarian chili recipe out there. This best chili dish is the perfect recipe to warm your tummy on those cold fall nights.
*Thank you to Anjali Shah for this great fall recipe! Anjali is a food writer, health coach, and owner of The Picky Eater, a healthy food and lifestyle blog. Anjali grew up a “whole wheat” girl, but married a “white bread” kind of guy. Hoping to prove that nutritious food could in fact be delicious and desirable, she taught herself how to cook and successfully transformed her husband’s eating habits from a diet of frozen pizzas and Taco Bell to her healthy, yet flavorful recipes made with simple, wholesome ingredients. Through her blog, Anjali shares her passion for tasty, healthy cooking.
The Best Vegetarian Chili EVER!
- 15 1/2 ounces kidney beans can, drained and rinsed
- 15 1/2 ounces black beans can, drained and rinsed
- 15 1/2 ounces pinto beans can, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 1 green bell pepper diced
- 1 red onion diced
- 28 ounces crushed tomatoes can
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 5 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon Ghirardelli cocoa powder unsweetened
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper or a bit less
- a couple splashes of lite soy sauce optional, gluten-free tamari
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- black pepper and paprika to taste
- Chop the garlic, onion, and bell peppers. Sauté lightly over medium-high heat in 1-2 tsp olive oil. Meanwhile, rinse the beans until all of the canning liquid is gone.
- Once the veggies have sautéed for about 5 minutes, add everything else into the pot (tomatoes, beans, spices, etc.). Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 30 min or longer as needed.
- Once the chili is done cooking, top with anything you like. Here are some suggestions: 1 Tbsp reduced-fat cheese, fat-free sour cream or 0% Greek yogurt, whole wheat tortilla chips, or Old-Fashioned Cornbread.
Looking for more nutritious vegetarian recipes? Try our list of Vegetarian Recipes that your family will love!
Do you have a favorite vegetarian recipe? Tell us about it in the comments section below!