Having your girlfriends over for brunch? Inviting friends and family to a springtime celebration? Or maybe you’re planning a special baby shower or bridal shower for a friend. Now is the time for light, refreshing appetizer salads that are as gorgeous to look at as they are healthy and delicious. This Turnip, Kiwi, and Pomegranate Salad is a glorious stack of hearty veggies, sweet fruits, and colorful garnish that will have your guests gasping and taking photos with their phones as soon as you set their plates down in front of them.
Do you have a mandoline at home? It’s an inexpensive, versatile kitchen gadget that is excellent for preparing the thin strips of veggies used in salads, pastas, and veggie lasagnas. We used our mandoline to create beautiful slices of turnip and kiwi, which we easily stacked for a salad that’s a treat for the eyes and for the tastebuds. Turnip’s earthy, root vegetable flavor pairs perfectly with juicy, berry-flavored kiwi, making this salad complex, with a gourmet flair. Plus, turnip and kiwi are both rich in antioxidants and fiber, making this salad as healthy as it is beautiful.
Pomegranate seeds are a perfect garnish, adding luscious red color and juicy, sweet flavor. Pomegranates are another superfood that is high in antioxidants, and the seeds are rich in fiber, crunching as you bite into them. Peppery arugula is the perfect green to add to this salad, and we’ve finished it off with a drizzle of honey for more natural sweetness.
Yields: 4 servings | Serving Size: 1 salad | Calories: 178 | Total Fat: 8 g | Saturated Fat: 1 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Cholesterol: 0 mg | Sodium: 175 mg | Carbohydrates: 28 g | Dietary Fiber: 5 g | Sugars: 20 g | Protein: 2 g | SmartPoints: 8
- 4 tablespoons champagne vinegar, white balsamic vinegar, or balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 turnips, peeled
- 4 kiwi, peeled
- 2 cups arugula
- 1/2 cup pomegranate seeds
- In a small bowl, whisk the vinegar, honey, salt and pepper. When the honey is fully incorporated, whisk in the extra virgin olive oil. Set aside.
- Slice the turnips and kiwi thinly with a mandoline or a knife.
- In a medium bowl, combine the turnips, kiwi, and the dressing and toss carefully. Leave for 15 minutes.
- Stack the turnips and kiwi on a plate. Do not discard the dressing. Toss the arugula in any dressing left in the bowl. Add the arugula. If you make it into a soft ball in the palm of your hand it is easier to stack. Sprinkle on the pomegranate seeds.
Make sure that you subscribe to our newsletter, so that you don’t miss out on anything SkinnyMs.
We’d love to hear what you think of this post, or what you’d like to see on our site. Leave us a comment in the comments section below.