You’ve tried burrito bowls. You’ve sampled rice bowls. You’ve even savored soup in a bread bowl. But regular old potatoes can also be a perfect vessel for a variety of flavors. Baking your potato once, and then adding a host of vibrant veggies and a topping of cheese, and baking again, will leave you with a potato that is bursting with flavor and texture. It’s the perfect dinner on a rushed weeknight, can be made in a big batch and served to the whole family, and even makes a nice lunch for one when you’re craving something both flavorful and comforting.
First choose your potato wisely. We like to use russet potatoes in this recipe, as high-starch russet potatoes have flesh that falls apart easily when mashed with a fork, and combine better with a veggie mix. Lower starch potatoes, like Yukon golds, and red potatoes, tend to be a bit more waxy and not a easy to use in this sort of recipe.
Then, choose your veggies! In this baked potato recipe, we’ve selected green earthy zucchini, and have mixed it with preserved roasted red peppers for a sweetly mild spice. You can try this recipe, or add any veggies you like to the mix. As long as you choose a vegetable that holds up well to baking, there are multitudes of flavor combinations you can come up with! Top your twice-baked potato with Parmesan for a sharp, cheesy bite for a well-rounded mealtime staple.
Yields: 8 servings | Serving Size: 1/2 stuffed baked potato | Calories: 200 | Total Fat: 5 g | Saturated Fat: 2 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Cholesterol: 5 mg | Sodium: 146 mg | Carbohydrates: 33 g | Dietary Fiber: 4 g | Sugars: 2 g | Protein: 6 g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 4
- 4 large potatoes with skin on, rinsed and scrubbed
- 1/3 cup preserved roasted peppers, coarsely chopped
- 1 small zucchini, diced
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil + more for rubbing the potatoes
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup grated non-fat cheese
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, finely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Pierce the potatoes with the tip of a sharp knife then rub them with extra virgin olive oil.
- Place them on a baking dish then bake them for 1 hour or until they are tender.
- Being careful (they can be very hot), cut the potatoes in half lengthwise then scoop out the inner pulp.
- Collect the potato pulp then chop them coarsely.
- In a small bowl, mix the peppers, zucchini, chopped potato pulp, Parmesan cheese, 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Fill the hollowed potatoes with the vegetable mixture then bake again for another 25 minutes or until the zucchini are tender.
- Sprinkle the grated non-fat cheese on top of each of the potatoes and bake again for 5 minutes or until the cheese is completely melted.
- Garnish with the parsley then serve.
More amazing potato recipes:
Make sure you subscribe to our newsletter so you don’t miss out anything on SkinnyMs.
We’d love to hear what you think. Leave us a comment in the comments section below.