Tortilla soup has always been one of my all-time favorite meals, and definitely my favorite soup. It’s thick and filling without being too rich and creamy, and it’s filled with all the Mexican flavors I love. This vegetarian tortilla soup recipe is a delicious, meatless version of my favorite soup, and I like it just as much as the original.
A Soup for Meatless Monday
As I’ve mentioned before, one of my main clean eating goals this year has been going meatless. I’m not vegan or vegetarian, but I am trying to find more opportunities to go meatless when possible.
I find going meatless a few days a week has me feeling lighter, happier, and higher energy. Meanwhile, meatless meals almost always make it easier to stay on top of my other clean eating goals, as they tend to be naturally healthier and filled with better-for-you ingredients like veggies and lentils.
There are plenty of great, already meatless meals out there. But in my quest to go meatless, I’ve also been interested in trying out meatless versions of my favorite recipes. Let me just say, this vegetarian tortilla soup recipe is one of my greatest successes so far.
I like it just as much if not more than my go-to chicken tortilla soup recipe. It has all the flavors and hearty consistency I love, just without the meat. With this soup, meatless Monday doesn’t have to feel like a sacrifice.
Veggies and More
While going meatless can be a great way to start eating more veggies, it doesn’t mean every recipe is all veggies all the time. This hearty and filling vegetarian tortilla soup is packed with delicious ingredients that make for full, heaping spoonfuls every time.
I’ve always felt a little bit weird about soup marketed as “chunky.” It just doesn’t strike me as an adjective you necessarily want associated with your food. But frankly, this soup is so packed with healthy ingredients, there’s just no other word to describe it. This vegetarian tortilla soup is chunky in the best sense of the word.
This soup definitely has its fair share of delicious veggies. No tortilla soup would be complete without diced tomatoes and corn. But it also has delicious black beans and tortilla strips to help make this soup hearty and protein packed.
Whether you’re a full-time vegetarian or you and meatless meals are just keeping things casual, this vegetarian tortilla soup is a great recipe to have around. Tasty, filling, and super easy to make, it’s a versatile meal that’s great for a weeknight dinner or serving a crowd.
Whip up a batch and serve with your favorite Mexican toppings for a delicious vegetarian dinner.
Yields: 6 cups | Serving Size: 1 cup | Calories: 242 | Total Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 0mg | Sodium: 268mg | Carbohydrates: 43g | Fiber: 10g | Sugar: 6g | Protein: 9g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 2
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, minced (optional)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 3 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 (15 ounce) can no sugar added diced tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can low-sodium black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 ounce) can low sodium corn kernels
- 4 (6 inch) corn tortillas, cut into 1/2 inch strips
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- Heat the olive oil in a large soup pot on medium heat, once hot add the onion, garlic, and jalapeno. Cook until the onions are soft, about 5 minutes. Stir in the tomato paste and cooking, stirring frequently, for one minute.
- Stir in the cumin, chili powder, broth, tomatoes, beans, and corn. Mix will and bring to a simmer. Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, spread half of the tortilla strips on a baking sheet. Bake for 5 to 10 minutes or just until crisp.
- Stir in the remaining tortilla strips into the soup. Ladle into serving bowls and top with the crisp tortillas.
More Vegetarian Recipes You’ll Love:
A great plant-based source of protein, lentils are a must for any meatless diet plan. This slow cooker mediterranean lentil soup is a perfect example of just how delicious and filling meatless meals can be with the right ingredients.
A delicious and filling clean eating version of the classic Italian soup. Italian food has a reputation for being rich and maybe not so healthy, but this tasty vegetarian minestrone soup makes it easy to do Italian food the light and healthy way.