Pie for dinner? Sign us up!
Shepherd’s pie is a classic comfort dish that is rarely thought of as a health food, and even less as a vegetarian dish, but this recipe changes that. This healthy pie recipe is entirely vegetarian, and to top it off, is made with creamy mashed cauliflower instead of potatoes for a lower carb option that is perfect when you’re looking for something filling and satisfying. If you think you’ll miss the meat and potatoes, this is one of those veggie pies that will surprise you. You can adjust the vegetables to your liking, and you can bake this in either a casserole dish or individual ramekins for a party if you’d like. Either way, it’s impressive, healthy, and delicious!
Veggie Shepherd's Pie
- 1 head of cauliflower chopped
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt low-fat
- 1 tablespoon pure butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 12 ounces veggie soy crumbles package such as those from MorningStar Farms or Boca
- 1/3 cup ketchup recipe for Homemade Ketchup
- 1 onion medium, diced
- 1 1/2 cup frozen peas and carrots
- 1 cup vegetable broth low-sodium
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- sea salt to taste
- black pepper fresh ground, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Lay the cauliflower on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Spray lightly with cooking spray. Roast for 15-20 minutes until cauliflower is tender, but not mushy.
- Transfer cauliflower to the bowl of a food processor and add the yogurt and butter. Season with salt and pepper, and process until smooth and creamy.
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat and add the olive oil. Add the veggie crumbles and cook until browned. Add the onion, carrots, and peas and stir until well combined. Combine the veggie broth with the cornstarch and stir until dissolved. Add this and the ketchup to the veggie mixture and stir.
- Spread the vegetable mixture in an 8x8 casserole dish or divide into individual ramekins. Top with the pureed cauliflower and spread it on top.
- Bake for 25 minutes until heated throughout. To brown the top, turn the broiler on high and broil until the top is browned to your liking. Alternatively, if you have a kitchen torch, you can use that to brown the top. Serve hot.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
Don’t miss out on the latest and greatest from Skinny Ms…
Be sure to subscribe to our daily enewsletter. Also, like our Facebook page and follow us on Pinterest for tasty recipes, clean eating tips, and healthy lifestyle resources.
For more delicious and nutritious recipes from Skinny Ms., check out our Skinny Ms. Recipe Collection of 101 Fan Favorites.
Do you have a favorite Skinny Ms. recipe? We’d love to hear about it. Tell us what you think in the comments section below.