This warm, healthy meal packs a load of nutrients and plenty of simple, rustic flavors. Barley is high in fibers, while chickpeas are legumes that are high in both fiber and protein. Tomatoes contain lycopene, a powerful, natural antioxidant. Grilling the chicken and using just the white meat is a lean and healthy way to get even more protein out of your meal. You’ll love this marvelous salad bursting with nutrition!
Yields: 8 servings | Serving Size: 3/4 cup | Calories: 402 | Total Fat: 13 g | Saturated Fat: 3 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Cholesterol: 32 mg | Sodium: 342 mg | Carbohydrates: 51 g | Dietary Fiber: 10 g | Sugar: 7g | Protein: 21g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 14
- 1 cup uncooked barley
- 12 ounces chicken fillet
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 cups pre-cooked chickpeas
- Bunch of fresh sage
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Over high heat, in a pot of salted water, put the barley and bring to a boil. When it boils, cover and simmer on low heat for 1/2 hour or until tender. Drain, rinse and set aside.
- Over medium – high heat, in a hot griddle, grill the chicken for 2 minutes each side if thin or more if the cut is thicker. When they are cooked, chop then set aside.
- Over medium heat, in a saucepan with extra virgin olive oil, sautè the tomatoes for 1 minute.
- Add the chickpeas, barley and sage. Toss for 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken.
- Season with the balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper. Toss for 1 minute.
- Serve warm.
Do you have a favorite SkinnyMs. recipe? We’d love to hear about it. Tell us what you think in the comments section below.