Get your protein from this rustic, low-calorie entree!
This warm, healthy meal packs a load of nutrients and plenty of simple, rustic flavors. Barley is high in fibers, while chickpeas are legumes that are high in both fiber and protein. Tomatoes contain lycopene, a powerful, natural antioxidant. Grilling the chicken and using just the white meat is a lean and healthy way to get even more protein out of your meal. You’ll love this marvelous salad bursting with nutrition!
Chickpea and Tomato Salad with Grilled Chicken
- 1 cup barley uncooked
- 12 ounces chicken fillet
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes halved
- 2 cups chickpeas pre-cooked
- sage fresh, bunch
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- salt and pepper
- Over high heat, in a pot of salted water, put the barley and bring to a boil. When it boils, cover and simmer on low heat for 1/2 hour or until tender. Drain, rinse, and set aside.
- Over medium-high heat, in a hot griddle, grill the chicken for 2 minutes each side if thin or more if the cut is thicker. When they are cooked, chop then set aside.
- Over medium heat, in a saucepan with extra virgin olive oil, sautè the tomatoes for 1 minute.
- Add the chickpeas, barley, and sage. Toss for 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken.
- Season with balsamic vinegar, salt, and pepper. Toss for 1 minute.
- Serve warm.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
Don’t miss out on the latest from Skinny Ms. Subscribe to our newsletter.
Do you have a favorite Skinny Ms. recipe? We’d love to hear about it. Tell us what you think in the comments section below.