Give this summer salad a shot!
This bright summer salad offers a fresh bite of sweet and mild flavors. You may think of watermelon as just a yummy treat, but it’s also packed with vitamins. It’s a true superfood. And don’t forget about red onion; it’s super too, with nutrients that help to fight off cancer. Give Watermelon and Red Onion Salad a whirl! It can serve as a sweet side dish, but it’s also enjoyable on its own.
Watermelon and Red Onion Salad
- 1 arugula bunch
- 1/2 cup red onion
- 1 cup watermelon
- 1 heirloom tomato sliced
- 1/4 cup feta cheese cubes or crumbles
- 1/2 ounce white wine vinegar
- 1 ounce extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Trim the stems of the arugula. Rinse the arugula and dry thoroughly. Keep chilled until ready to assemble the salad. Combine the vinegar, salt, and pepper. Gradually whisk in the oil. Adjust the seasoning with additional salt and pepper if necessary.
- For each portion, toss arugula with ½ ounce dressing. Lift the arugula from the bowl, allowing the dressing to drain back into the bowl. Arrange on a chilled salad plate. Add the watermelon to the bowl and toss or roll until coated with the remaining dressing. Place the watermelon on top of the arugula. Garnish with the red onion and ½ teaspoon pine nuts, if desired. Salt, to taste. Top with a few turns of freshly ground pepper.
- *For a Mediterranean touch, add sliced garden tomatoes and cubed feta
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
Like what you see? Don’t miss out on the latest and greatest from Skinny Ms. Be sure to subscribe to our newsletter.