Pasta gets a bad reputation for not being a very healthy meal choice because of the carbohydrate content. However, if you choose a hearty pasta with “good carbs,” like whole wheat pasta, along with toppings and add-ins that have nutritional value. Then you have an easy to make meal that’s satisfying and guilt-free.
Always keep a few boxes of whole wheat or gluten-free pasta on hand. It takes just a few minutes to put these meals together.
Start boiling your water and take your pick from the healthy pasta combinations listed below:
1. A different take on tradition: 1 can diced tomatoes, ¼ cup fresh basil (chopped), 1 tablespoon dried oregano and 2 eggs (cracked and whisked)
2. Go Green: 3 cups fresh spinach, ½ cup sliced scallions (green onions), 1 tablespoon olive oil, 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
3. Zesty Chicken: 2 cooked chicken breasts (sliced), ¼ cup chopped parsley, 1 tablespoon olive oil, the juice of one lemon and ½ teaspoon salt
4. Colorful Veggies: 1 cup cooked broccoli, ½ cup cooked sliced carrots, ½ cup sliced red peppers and ¼ cup Lemon and Oil Dressing
5. Pizza Pasta: 1 can diced tomatoes, ½ cup cubed mozzarella cheese, ¼ cup chopped turkey pepperoni, 1 teaspoon dried oregano, 1 teaspoon minced garlic and 2 tablespoon Parmesan cheese
One you have made your decision simply drain your pasta. Keep about a cup of the water that your pasta was cooked in. In a large pan, drop the pasta with the reserved pasta water and add your other ingredients. Toss until your egg is cooked, spinach is wilted and all of the ingredients are mixed together and heated evenly. Enjoy!
Looking for more ways to enjoy Whole Wheat Pasta? Try our