A rich and creamy vegetarian casserole.
Kale and wild rice team up in this dish for a creamy and hearty vegetarian casserole.
Casseroles are a staple when it comes to home-made comfort food. They’re warm, filling, and comforting. There’s just something about a casserole that always feels like your mom made it (even when you have to make it yourself.)
With endless possibilities for flavor and ingredient combinations, you could eat casseroles all winter long and never get bored. This dish mixes things up with savory flavors and a rich, creamy taste.
Add a new tasty vegetarian dish to your casserole rotation with this creamy wild rice and kale casserole.
Perfect as A Main Course or Side
In some ways, you can think of this dish as an updated version of green bean casserole. Like the classic holiday dinner side, this wild rice casserole is creamy and veggie-based.
However, this casserole boasts plenty of its own unique, savory flavors and delicious ingredients. Mushrooms, onion, and garlic complement the wild rice and kale. Meanwhile, Worcestershire sauce adds a savory, umami flavor, while sharp shredded Swiss is the perfect addition to this sophisticated yet homey side.
If you’re looking to mix up your annual holiday menu, consider giving the go-to green bean casserole the year off and serving this creamy wild rice and kale casserole as a side.
Alternately, this rich and creamy casserole is filling and hearty enough to serve as a meal all on its own. Packed with veggies, rich flavor, and superfood kale, it’s a tasty, nutritious vegetarian dinner option.
Prep and Serve Tips
Because wild rice has a notoriously long cook time, definitely plan to make your rice ahead. Whether you use the pressure cooker and cook the rice while you prep the rest of the ingredients or you decide to play it safe and make the rice a few days in advance, you’ll want to plan ahead for this casserole.
Additionally, I’d recommend removing the rice a little sooner than you would ordinarily, so it’s not quite as tender as you’d usually serve it. This way, the rice will still have a little room to further soften in the oven.
While I spend a lot of time talking about all the health benefits of kale, I can acknowledge that it’s not everyone’s cup of tea. If you want to forego the kale, you can easily swap in spinach instead.
However you serve it, kale or spinach, main course or side, you’ll love this creamy wild rice and kale casserole.
Creamy Wild Rice and Kale Casserole
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 cups mushrooms sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 yellow onion diced small
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bunch of kale large, stems removed and chopped
- 1/4 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1 cup almond milk
- 2/3 cup vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 3 cups wild rice cooked
- 1 1/2 cups Swiss cheese fat-free, shredded
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray a casserole dish with nonstick spray and set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil on medium heat. Once hot, add the mushrooms and salt. Cook until the onions are well browned. Add the onion, garlic, and pepper. Cook until the onion just begins to turn translucent, stirring often. Stir in the kale until just until the leaves begin to wilt.
- Add the flour and allow it it lightly brown in the pan. Stir and allow the flour to coat the kale and mushrooms. While stirring, add the milk and broth, stir until smooth. Bring the mixture to a simmer. Simmer until thickened, about 5 minutes, stirring often to prevent burning.
- Stir in the Worcestershire, balsamic vinegar, rice, and half the cheese. Pour into the prepared casserole dish and top with the remaining cheese. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until bubbly and top is beginning to lightly brown. Let sit for about 10 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms