Yields: 6 servings | Serving size: 1 cup & 1 bun | Calories: 315 | Previous Points: 6 | Points Plus: 8 | Total Fat: 9 | Saturated Fat: 2 | Trans Fat: 0 g | Cholesterol: 80 mg | Sodium: 204 mg | Carbohydrates: 36 g | Dietary Fiber: 5 g | Sugars: 16 g | Protein: 24 g
- 1 pound lean ground chicken (ground turkey can also be used)
- 1/2 cup onions, diced
- 1/2 cup diced green bell pepper
- Kosher or sea salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- 1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans with liquid, organic preferred
- 1 (15 ounce) can Great Northern Beans with liquid, organic preferred
- 1/4 cup sucanat, coconut palm sugar or honey
- 1/2 cup ketchup (recipe)
- Gluten Free or Whole Wheat Buns or rolls
In a large skillet cook ground chicken and onion over medium heat, breaking up chicken with a fork as it cooks. Cook just until chicken begins to lose its pink color, drain off fat and add to the slow cooker. Add the remaining ingredients and stir to combine. Cover, cook on low heat 6 to 8 hours. If you want a little less fat in your recipe, use this method. Serve on gluten free or whole wheat buns.
Optional Cooking Method: Add uncooked ground turkey to slow cooker, break up with a fork, add remaining ingredients and cook 7-9 hours on low. This method tastes just as yummy and is the quicker of the two. Add 1 additional gram of saturated fat if using this cooking method.
4 - 6 quart slow cooker recommended.
This recipe is featured in our Skinny Ms. Slow Cooker cookbook....check it out!