by Skinny Ms.
Our Veggie Stew has that same pot pie taste you love without the additional calories and fat of a traditional pot pie. You’ll love the taste, the health benefits, and the low calorie count of this comfort food stew.
Yields: 6 servings | Serving Size: 1 1/2 cups | Calories: 97 | Total Fat: 1 g | Saturated Fat: 1 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Previous Points: 1 | Points Plus: 2 | Cholesterol: 3 | Carbohydrates: 18 g | Sodium: 130 mg | Dietary Fiber: 4 g | Sugars: 7 g | Protein: 5 g |
- 1 small onion
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 large sweet potato, chopped into 1/2" cubes
- 3 carrots, sliced
- 1 small Chayote Squash, chopped into 1/2" cubes (Or, vegetable of choice)
- 1 cup fresh or frozen green beans
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Kosher or sea salt to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth, low-sodium
- 2 cups low-fat milk (I used 1%) Note: Skim does not work for this recipe
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch + 2 tablespoons water, optional
Add all ingredients, except milk, cornstarch & water, to the slow cooker, cover and cook on low 8-9 hours, or until carrots are tender. The last 30 minutes of cooking time, combine cornstarch and water, add to slow cooker, stir. Add milk, stir, cover and continue cooking until thickened.
Optional thickening method: The last 30 minutes of cooking time, remove 1 cup broth & veggies, mash with a fork and return to slow cooker, stir. Cover and continue cooking 30 additional minutes.
NOTE: If a more subtle onion taste is preferred, add 2 teaspoons olive oil to a small skillet, turn to medium-low heat and saute onion until tender, about 5 minutes. Add to slow cooker with other ingredients.