by Gale Compton
There’s nothing better than coming home after a long day at work and dinner is waiting in the slow cooker. The great thing about this slow cooker recipe, aside from its robust flavor, is that it’s so easy to prepare and many of the ingredients can be substituted with whatever you have on hand.
Servings: 6 | Serving Size: 1 1/2 cups | Previous Points: 3 | Points Plus: 3 | Calories: 183 |Total Fat: 4 g | Saturated Fat: 1 g | Trans Fat: 0 |Cholesterol: 47 mg | Sodium: 253 mg | Carbohydrates: 17 g | Dietary Fiber: 4 g | Sugars: 5 g | Protein: 6 g
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1” cubes (optional, white or red potato)
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced into 1” pieces
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 cup whole kernel corn (optional)
- Kosher or sea salt to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, more or less to taste (can be substituted with cayenne pepper)
- 2 cups frozen or fresh green beans
- 4 cups vegetable broth, low sodium (chicken broth can be substituted)
- ¼ cup freshly chopped parsley
- 1 (14.5 oz.) can diced tomatoes
- 2 cans cannellini beans, drained and rinsed (navy, black, pinto or chick peas can be substituted)
Add all the above ingredients to the slow cooker, stir to combine, cover and cook on low 8-10 hours or until carrots are tender.
Note: To make this a meat dish, simply add 1 pound chicken fillets (cut into 1" cubes) to slow cooker along with the other ingredients.
Tip: If you prefer a thicker soup, near the end of cooking time, remove 1/2 cup of soup (liquid and veggies) and combine with 1-2 tablespoons flour or corn starch, puree and return to the slow cooker. A fork works well to mash the ingredients along with the flour or cornstarch. Be careful not to allow the hot mixture to spin out. Continue cooking until soup thickens, about 15 minutes. Minimum Slow Cooker Size: 4 quarts
Ready for dessert? 5 Chocolate Treats Under 230 Calories
RECIPE SIGNUP: If you’re interested in receiving our newest and best Slow Cooker recipes via email, signup here: eNewsletter Signup.