From pies and lattes to soups and lasagna, pumpkin is the star of the show all season long. You may think you have to avoid your pumpkin favorites, but this seasonal highlight is actually super healthy for you! Packed with fiber that fills you up without weighing you down, pumpkin also boasts high levels of vitamin A and other key nutrients. With just a few substitutions, this easy Pumpkin Butter packs all the flavor and health benefits of your seasonal favorites! Coconut sugar gives this recipe the sweetness you crave in a fall treat without the blood sugar spike you dread. Meanwhile, no-sugar added apple juice adds the natural sweetness of another classic fall fruit! Spread this guilt-free treat on toast in the morning or use it to top our Whole Wheat Pumpkin Pancakes for a double dose of fall flavor!
Yields: 40 servings | Serving Size: 2 tablespoons | Calories: 29 | Total Fat: 0g | Saturated Fat: 0g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 0mg | Sodium: 4mg | Carbohydrates: 7g | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 6g | Protein: 0g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 2
- 1 (29-ounce) can pumpkin purée or solid pack pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 1 cup no-sugar added apple juice
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground clove
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- Step 1: In a small sauce pan, heat all ingredients except for lemon juice on medium low heat. Bring to a simmer, stirring often.
- Step 2: Simmer for 15 to 20 minutes until thick and fragrant. Again, stirring often.
- Step 3: Remove from heat and stir in the lemon juice. Cool completely before storing in an air tight container.
For more pumpkin treats that pack flavor while cutting calories, check out 25 Pumpkin Spice Recipes to Welcome Fall!