So savory and delicious- these cakes will turn anyone into a breakfast-eater!
These pumpkin pancakes are so good! Unlike other less healthy pancakes recipes, this recipe uses whole wheat flour, but is still just as delicious, if not better. Use canned or fresh pumpkin puree. If you are making your own puree, butternut squash or acorn squash can be used instead of pumpkin, if desired. Winter squashes, like pumpkin, butternut, and acorn, are all high in vitamin A and fiber.
These pancakes would be great topped with Slow Cooker Apple Butter or applesauce. Real maple syrup or honey are also great sweet toppings. If you want the pancakes to be more of a dessert, consider topping them with dairy-free coconut whipped topping.
To make a big breakfast, make these pancakes with our breakfast sausage.
Do you want to see more pumpkin recipes? Check out our 15 Best Pumpkin Recipes.
Whole Wheat Pumpkin Pancakes
- 1 1/4 cups white whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons coconut palm sugar or sucanat any dry sugar substitute equivalent of 2 tablespoons sugar will work
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice or 1/2 teaspoon each of powdered ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg and clove
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon real vanilla extract optional
- 1 cup milk reduced-fat or skim OR non-dairy milk such as almond, rice or soy milk
- 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon pumpkin puree canned unsweetened (not pumpkin pie filling) or homemade pumpkin puree
- 2 tablespoons butter melted, you can use butter substitute such as Earth Balance or 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 egg
- Mix together the pumpkin, milk, egg, and vanilla extract. In a separate bowl, mix together flour, sugar, baking powder, spices, and salt. Fold mixture into dry ingredients.
- Coat a skillet, griddle, or saute pan with cooking spray and place over medium heat. Ladle about 1/4 cup of the batter for each pancake. If necessary, use the back of the ladle to spread the pancake into a circle. Cook pancake for about 3 minutes, until bubbles form on the surface. Flip the pancake and cook for an additional 3 minutes on the other side.
- Makes about 6 pancakes.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
Do you have a favorite Skinny Ms. recipe? We’d love to hear about it. Tell us what you think in the comments section below.