Previously we shared a “take em to work” list of 100 calorie snack ideas post that was very popular. What follows are even more healthy snack ideas, some are good for the road and others are perfect when you’re at home and need a little afternoon pick me up.
Enjoy more of our easy to prepare, smart snacks that will help you eat healthy and keep your calories under control. Don’t fall into the pre-packaged “100 calorie snacks” trap – most of those products have no real nutritional value and are loaded with processed junk.
With some simple planning a bit of creativity, you’ll be able to enjoy great treats that will boost your nutrition without breaking your diet.
1. Cinnamon Orange Slices – give your citrus a kick and balance your blood sugar at the same time. Peel and slice one navel orange. Blend 1tsp orange juice and 1tsp lime juice. Drizzle over orange slices and sprinkle with cinnamon – enjoy.
2. Cut 2 whole sweet bell peppers into strips. A great way to get a crispy crunch and packed with vitamin C and other nutrients for only 90 calories.
3. Healthy Baked Apple: slice a small apple, drizzle lightly with a tsp of honey, and a sprinkle of cinnamon and nutmeg. Microwave for 30 seconds to soften the apple and enjoy some healthy comfort food.
4. 3 oz of fat free Greek yogurt mixed with ½ cup fresh blueberries. Refreshing and loaded with anti-oxidants.
5. Slice a raw tomato and drizzle with 1tsp extra virgin olive oil, chopped fresh basil and a sprinkle of garlic powder. Packed with flavor and nutrition.
6. Cut half of a medium cucumber into slices and enjoy with ½ cup low fat cottage cheese. Cool, light and refreshing.
7. Pop 1 cup of mixed grapes into the freezer for a cool, refreshing sweet treat that is under 100 calories.
8. Mix ¼ cup prepared black beans with a Tbsp diced tomato, garlic and onion to taste. Eat with a few whole grain baked pita chips.
9. Melt 2 squares of dark chocolate and drizzle over 4 ounces of sliced strawberries for a bit of decadence without the guilt.
10. Mix ¼ cup salsa with 1/3 cup quinoa for a zesty, filling snack that is packed with protein.
11. Mix and refrigerate a fresh fruit salad for example ½ cup of mandarin orange slices with ½ cup of blueberries. Sprinkle with a teaspoon of lemon juice, cover and refrigerate until ready to enjoy. The lemon juice brings out the flavors of the fruits as it sits. You can substitute 100 calories of any fruits you like.
12. Blend ½ a cup of chocolate soy milk with ½ a banana and ice for a quick shake.
13. A handful of our sweet potato crunchies are an excellent alternative to potato chips. Nutritious and satisfying.
14. Have some cucumber slices or celery sticks with our zucchini hummus. A filling, nutritious snack with a great crunch.
15. Try a couple of tablespoons of our skinny yogurt peanut butter dip with half a sliced apple.
These simple snacks are a great way to fill up with fuel between meals and avoid junk food binges. Sometimes it’s hard to resist temptation. Going to the movies is a great example, so be sure to check out our 5 snacks to munch at the movies.