Filling low-calorie snacks make sticking to a healthy eating plan easier. They help to cut cravings for extra calories at meal time. What kinds of snacks help us to feel full longer? Try snacks that contain protein, fiber, and omega-3 fatty acids. Fiber breaks down slowly in the body, keeping hunger at bay. Protein also takes time to metabolize, leaving you satisfied. Omega-3’s are associated with greater satiety and fewer food cravings. The following 25 low-calorie snacks that fill you up all contain one or more of these three filler-uppers while keeping the calorie count low.
1. Apple (with skin)
2. Sweet Potato Chips – a great replacement for greasy vending machine chips
3. Hard-Boiled Egg
4. Popcorn (air-popped)
5. Baked Zucchini Chips – another healthy chip option
6. Cottage Cheese – can be eaten plain, with a little black pepper, or with fruit
7. Hummus – with veggie sticks, crackers, whole wheat bread, or baked pita chips
9. Greek Yogurt – with fruit, or try our Lemon Cumin Yogurt Dip (pictured at top) with veggie sticks!
10. Peanut Butter – enjoy with crackers, whole grain bread, or apple slices