The perfect amount of pulled pork!
If you love southern barbecue but are looking to avoid all the fat and calories associated with this unhealthy food, you’re in luck. Our 5-Ingredient Slow Cooker BBQ Pulled Pork for Two is a healthier version of your favorite! We swapped out the fatty pork shoulder for lean pork chops and ditched the sugar-rich barbecue sauce for a homemade version. You’ll still get all the flavor you love from barbecue while making healthier, whole food choices.
Our 5-Ingredient Slow Cooker BBQ Pulled Pork for Two makes the perfect amount of pulled pork for two sandwiches, rice bowls, or salads. Turn this pork into your favorite tacos on Tuesday night, and serve it on a whole-wheat sandwich bun with our favorite Southwestern Brussels Sprouts Slaw the next night. Or, simply serve it with a side of brown rice and steamed broccoli and it’ll be fantastic. The possibilities are endless when you have a lean protein that tastes this delicious!
A Quick Word About Chipotles in Adobo
One of the ingredients in our homemade barbecue sauce is chipotles in adobo sauce. For a spicier sauce, we recommend adding a whole chipotle chili to the Crock Pot. If you’re not into spicy foods, we suggest simply using the adobo sauce. But we should step back for a second: What is this ingredient and why should you use it?
It’s true you could use any hot sauce or hot pepper, but chipotles in adobo are an important ingredient if you want to add some serious depth to your barbecue. These smoked, dried jalapeños are packed in a sweet-and-tangy sauce. The pepper itself is what has most of the heat, but the sauce is what really shines. It’s smoky, it’s spicy, and it’s the perfect way to make a sauce taste like it simmered for hours.
If you don’t want to go through the trouble of making a barbecue sauce, we’re totally okay if you use store-bought sauce. That would turn this into a two-ingredient recipe! We’d definitely recommend going with a clean-eating brand (like Stubb’s Original Bar-B-Q sauce), because most BBQ sauce is loaded up with sugar.
5-Ingredient Slow Cooker BBQ Pulled Pork for Two
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 8 ounces tomato sauce can, no salted added
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon adobo sauce plus 1 chipotle pepper, if you like things spicy
- kosher salt and pepper to taste
- 12 ounces lean boneless pork loin chops
- Mix together all of the ingredients in a 2- or 3-quart slow cooker (except the chops) to create the barbecue sauce. If you like your barbecue spicy, add a whole chipotle pepper in addition to the adobo sauce it’s packed in. If you like a mild sauce, skip the pepper and just add the adobo sauce.
- Please note that this makes a lot of sauce. If you feel it’s too much, simply save some of it for another use after it cooks!
- Place the chops in the sauce and cook on low setting for 4 to 6 hours (or, on high for 2 to 3 hours) until the internal temperature of the meat reaches at least 165 degrees. The meat should easily pull apart when done.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms