Enjoy the fiesta in your mouth with each bite of this zesty dish.
Our 5-Minute Prep Tex-Mex Casserole will please the picky and cheer the bored. And best of all? The dish will take so little effort to make, it will astound you. Now that’s what we call some good lookin’ cookin’. This super easy casserole dish is a delicious fusion of Southwestern and Mexican flavors.
Combine all the ingredients, spread in a casserole dish, bake, and voila! You are the proud chef of an easy Tex-Mex casserole that tastes like it took hours, but barely took any time at all. Need we say more? What are you waiting for? Dinner is served!
Adding optional meat to casserole: Pre-cook 1 pound of lean ground turkey or beef until done. Drain any fat, allow to cool, and freeze in a freezer safe ziplock bag. The night before preparing the casserole remove cooked meat from the freezer and allow to defrost in the fridge overnight. Omit 1 can of beans. Combine the meat with the beans, spices, and salsa. Use a 9 x 13-inch casserole pan and increase servings to 10.
Make ahead: prepare casserole according to instructions, cover with an airtight lid, and refrigerate for up to two days or freeze up to one month. If frozen, the night before cooking remove casserole from the freezer and defrost in the fridge. Cook as instructed.
5-Minute Prep Tex-Mex Casserole
- 30 ounces black beans cans, drained
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 12 ounces salsa no added sugar
- 2 cups whole-grain tortilla chips broken
- 1 cup Mexican style cheese shredded, reduced-fat
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt non-fat, optional sour cream
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl combine beans, chili powder, cumin, black pepper, salt, and salsa.
- Layer in an 8 x 8-inch casserole pan: 1/2 bean mixture, 1 cup broken tortillas chips, 1/2 cup cheese. Repeat layering.
- Loosely cover with foil and bake for 25 minutes. Remove foil and bake an additional 5 minutes. Cut into servings.
- Add a dollop of yogurt or sour cream to individual servings.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
Can’t get enough healthy, Texan and Mexican-inspired dishes? Don’t worry, we understand-they’re simply irresistible! All the more reason to check out these deliciously rewarding Tex-Mex recipes.
Tex-Mex Style Macaroni and Cheese
TexMex Rice and Beans
Healthy Tex-Mex Lasagna
Let us know how we’re doing! Tell us what you think about this post, and about the content you enjoy on our site, in the comments section.