We get it. Mornings can be hectic. Even the most organized mom can find herself scrambling to sign forms, pack lunches, or even make sure the kids have put on clean clothes. One of the top sanity savers for the start of the school year is to plan for those quick breakfast meals that make the morning less hectic for you and everyone else in the house. Forget about stocking up on processed foods, like toaster pastries or sugared cereals. Too many of those foods are loaded with extra salt, sugar, and chemicals that you and the rest of your family don’t need. Thankfully, there is a way for you to make your day a little easier. We’re offering up a list of quick breakfast dishes you can count on for those grab-n-go days.
7 Grab-n-Go Healthy Back-to-School Breakfast Ideas:
1. Banana Blueberry Bars– On-the-go breakfast foods don’t come any healthier—or yummier—than this recipe. The rolled oats will fill your kids up so they can focus on learning their times tables instead of a growling tummy. Make a batch the day before so you and the kids can enjoy breakfast on the go.
2. Greek Yogurt and Fruit– A single-serving container of non-fat Greek yogurt delivers protein for lasting energy. Avoid sugar-added varieties and reach for plain; you and the family can mix in slices of your favorite whole fruit toppings, like bananas, strawberries, or pears.
3. Breakfast Smoothie– Forget about filling coffee tumblers with coffee. The cups you use for iced coffee in summertime are the perfect way to get the family fueled up with healthy smoothies. You can sip on a Green Tea Mango Smoothie on the ride to work, or give your tween or teen a Pick Me Up Breakfast Smoothie to drink as they get ready for the day.
4. Quesadillas– Fill whole-grain tortillas with a little low-fat cheese and scrambled eggs, and then add no-sugar added, low-sodium salsa or non-fat sour cream on the side. You might also add in diced peppers, onions, or other veggies the kids enjoy. For an alternative, replace the scrambled eggs with thin slices of Granny Smith apples. These are fun, quick breakfast bites everyone will love.
5. Pita Pocket Breakfast Sandwich– This is a smart, healthy breakfast choice for busy mornings, especially when you have a growing teen who wants a filling sandwich. Simply mix the ingredients (you can chop the night before to save time), then bake while you get ready for the day. Pop the mix into a warm pita and send them off to tackle the morning with energy.
6. Clean-Eating Banana Apple Bread– Banana bread is always a winner when you need an easy breakfast idea. It can be made ahead of time, and you can pre-slice and freeze it so it’s ready to pull out on those days when there’s nothing healthy on hand. Pair this tasty bread with a whole banana or apple for a breakfast you will feel good about serving.
7. Whole Wheat Zucchini Muffins– Do the kids wrinkle their noses at the idea of a “healthy food?” Then this is one of the on-the-go breakfast foods to try. Zucchini has a mild flavor that makes it perfect for even picky children and teens. (We used no-sugar-added applesauce in this recipe.) Make these muffins ahead for an easy busy-day breakfast.
For ideas on refueling kids with healthy snacks, check out Mom-Approved School Snacks.
Remember, healthy eating and exercise go hand-in-hand. Take our Family Fitness Challenge!
For more delicious and nutritious recipes from Skinny Ms., check out our Skinny Ms. Recipe Collection of 101 Fan Favorites.