Skip the fish fry. This almond crusted tilapia recipe will give you that crispy bite without the extra fat and calories that come with a deep fryer. Tilapia is a mild white fish that serves as a very lean source of protein. Using ground almonds in the batter results in a unique flavor and provides heart-healthy benefits.
Yields: 4 servings | Serving Size: 1 filet | Calories: 281 | Total Fat: 15 g | Saturated Fat: 2 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Cholesterol: 57 mg | Sodium: 80 mg | Carbohydrates: 10 g | Dietary Fiber: 2 g | Sugars: 1 g | Protein: 28 g | SmartPoints(Freestyle): 6
- 4 (4 ounce) tilapia filets
- 1/4 cup raw almonds
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 large egg white, slightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- Kosher or sea salt to taste
- In a food processor pulse almonds, cornmeal, cayenne and black pepper, until ingredients are combined and almonds are minced, while still having a slight amount of texture. Dip filets in egg white, coat both sides with almond mixture. Using your hands, press coating onto filets.
- Add oil to a large skillet, on medium-high heat, sear filets on both sides until golden and can easily flake with a fork. Remove filets from skillet and pat with a paper towel to remove excess oil.