Fuse these fun flavors together to create one unforgettable slaw. This Mexasian coleslaw recipe combines unlikely, but zesty and refreshing coleslaw ingredients, like ginger, cilantro, and sesame seeds with creamy cool avocado and olive oil (no mayonnaise required!). Napa, savoy, green (usually the most available in the U.S.), or purple cabbage- or any combination of cabbages really, can be used.This coleslaw dish can stand on its own as a lunch salad or as a side for barbecue or burritos.
The only question that leaves is “How to cook a Mexasian coleslaw?” The only cooking required is toasting the sesame seeds and maybe the cumin seeds (if using whole before grinding). See the recipe below to toss this slaw together in about 10 minutes.
Servings: 10 | Serving Size: 3/4 cup | Calories: 149 | Total Fat: 11 g | Saturated Fats: 2 g | Trans Fats: 0 g | Cholesterol: 0 mg | Sodium: 107 mg | Carbohydrates: 13 g | Dietary Fiber: 5 g | Sugars: 6 g | Protein: 2 g | SmartPoints (freestyle): 6
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed ginger juice (about 4" piece ginger root) , directions follow
- 6 cups shredded cabbage of choice
- 2 Granny Smith apples, or 1 Asian pear, or 1 medium to large jicama
- 2 medium-sized carrots, shredded on a cheese grater
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds, toasted
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin or freshly toasted and ground cumin seeds
- 2 medium sized avocados, peeled, pitted and chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 cup halved grapes of choice, seedless
- Salt, to taste
- To prepare the ingredients:
- Grate the ginger on the large wholes of a cheese grater (a microplane or ginger grater will also work) or puree it in a food processor. Place the grated or pureed ginger in a cheesecloth or a thin linen towel and squeeze out the juice.
- Cabbage can be shredded by cutting it into quarters, cutting out the core, and then, while the leaves are still together in layers, slicing thinly across them.
- Slice the apples or Asian pear, if using, and then cut into thin strips and sprinkle some of the lime juice over them(to prevent browning). If using jicama, peel, slice and chop into thin strips.
- In a medium skillet or saute pan, toast the sesame seeds over medium heat for about 3 minutes, stirring constantly until just golden and fragrant.
- If using whole cumin seeds rather than already ground cumin, toast them over medium heat for about 3 minutes as well using the same skillet or pan, just until fragrant and then grind in a coffee/spice grinder.
- To assemble the coleslaw:
- In a large bowl, combine the cabbage, olive oil, cumin and cayene pepper, ginger and lime juice, and avocado, hand mixing to mash up some of the avocado pieces and coat the leaves. Add salt to taste.
- Add in the cilantro, fruit and sesame seeds, tossing well to disperse ingredients evenly in the coleslaw. Serve.
Don’t miss out on the latest and greatest from Skinny Ms…
Be sure to subscribe to our newsletter. Also, like our Facebook page and follow us on Pinterest for tasty recipes, clean eating tips, and healthy lifestyle resources.
For more delicious and nutritious recipes from SkinnyMs., check out our SkinnyMs. Recipe Collection of 101 Fan Favorites.
Do you have a favorite SkinnyMs. recipe? We’d love to hear about it. Tell us what you think in the comments section below.