The healthiest way to cook vegetables to steam them. Steaming preserves many of the nutrients in our vegetables, and gives them a fresh taste. With a simple sauce mixture containing soy sauce, you can add delicious Asian flavors that work perfectly with the coconut rice that accompanies your veggies. Asian food is not always about stir-frying or deep-frying. We can recreate our favorite Eastern flavors with a healthier method and ingredients. Let’s start enjoying Asian food the wholesome way.
Yields: 6 servings | Serving Size: 3/4 cup | Calories: 309 | Total Fat: 12 g | Saturated Fat: 8 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Cholesterol: 0 mg | Sodium: 332 mg | Carbohydrates: 44 g | Dietary Fiber: 2 g | Sugars: 3 g | Protein: 6 g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 11
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked rice
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 ounces snow peas
- 1 large carrot, peeled and sliced
- 1 large zucchini, sliced
- 1 (1-inch) slice of ginger, peeled, chopped and pressed lightly
- 1 (1/2-inch) slice of ginger, peeled & grated
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon honey
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- Over medium heat, in a small dry saucepan, toast the sesame seeds then set aside.
- Over high heat, in a medium saucepan, put together the rice, coconut milk, and water. When it boils, put down the heat to low and cover, but not completely, leaving an opening of 1/2 inch.
- In a steamer, steam the vegetables by kind because some cook longer than the other. Cook the carrots first (about 10 - 12 minutes) then add the chopped ginger, the zucchini and the snow peas (about 7 minutes).
- In a small bowl, mix the soy sauce, lime, honey, sesame oil and grated ginger.
- When the vegetables are cooked, pour the sauce and mix.
- Sprinkle the sesame seeds on the rice and the vegetables.
- Serve the rice and vegetables while still warm.
There are more rice and vegetable recipes at SkinnyMs. check them out:
Don’t miss out on the latest from SkinnyMs. Make sure you subscribe to our newsletter.
Have you heard of our our SkinnyMs. Recipe Collection e-cookbook? It’s a treasure of 101 most popular fan recipes that we took note of and compiled in one book. Have a look!