For a unique and delicious breakfast, try an avocado and egg sandwich!
As all millennials know, avocado toast is the number one vice keeping us from home ownership. However, no one said anything about avocado on breakfast sandwiches. With that, I present to you the loophole that will save millennial mornings everywhere: The Avocado and Egg Breakfast Sandwich.
In all seriousness, there’s a reason avocados are so trendy. Or, rather, many reasons.
For one, they’re delicious.
Two, they’re super versatile. These green goddesses have a seat at the breakfast, lunch, and dinner table year round. They’re great in salads, smoothies, tacos, and even ice cream. That’s right, tacos and ice cream. Need I say more?
Finally, avocados are super healthy. Nutrient-rich and heart healthy, this fruit is also a great source of vitamins, fiber, and healthy fats.
And that’s far from a comprehensive list. Unlike many things, avocados actually are as great as everyone says. So let’s cool it with the avocado shaming, okay baby boomers?
Anyway, since avocados are super delicious and healthy, it’s no wonder everyone is trying to fit them into as many meals as possible. With this super easy Avocado and Egg Breakfast Sandwich, you have yet another excuse to enjoy avocado in the AM.
And just in case avocado weren’t incentive enough, this sandwich also uses another breakfast favorite: bagels.
Now, if you’re anything like me, delicious, tragically carb-dense bagels have long been a cheat-day only indulgence. But have no fear, this recipe uses whole wheat bagels, and you’ll be cutting some of it out, anyway.
Nope, I’m not talking about bagel-scooping, the trend that has somehow become almost as controversial as avocado toast. Instead, you’ll be cutting a small ring around the hole in the center, widening it to about one inch. This is so you can crack the egg into the center of the bagel. Yep, it’s an egg sandwich like no other.
Now, if this is starting to sound a little too fancy to really be an “easy, on-the-go” breakfast, stay with me. This breakfast sandwich actually is as easy as it sounds, it will only taste expensive and time consuming. This recipe is really as easy as mashing avocado and lemon juice, spreading it on the pan-toasted bagels, and cracking an egg into the center. Once the bagels have browned, your egg will only take about four minutes to cook.
We can all spare four minutes for breakfast, can’t we? Especially when you’re saving money on a high quality breakfast that, let’s face it, would run up the bill at your favorite cafe. Home ownership jokes aside, avocado can be an expensive habit…
But it’s so worth it.
If you like this Avocado and Egg Breakfast Sandwich, try some of our other avocado breakfasts, including:
- Avocado and Egg Quesadilla
- Avocado Breakfast Pizzas
- And, of course, the infamous Avocado Breakfast Toast. Haters gonna hate.
Easy On-the-Go Avocado and Egg Breakfast Sandwich
- 1 whole-wheat bagel
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 avocado mashed
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Slice the bagel in half to create two circles. Remove some of the center of each slice to make a hole about 1 inch wide. Brush the sliced side of each half with olive oil.
- Heat a skillet to medium-high heat and place the bagels sliced side down in the skillet when hot. Toast until golden brown. While the first side is toasting. combine the avocado and lemon juice. Flip the bagels in the pan so the sliced side faces up and spread the avocado onto each slice. Crack an egg into the center of each and season with salt and pepper.
- Cover and reduce heat to medium. Cook until the egg is set, about 4 minutes for a soft yolk. Remove from the pan, serve, and enjoy!
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
Love this recipe? Have some suggestions? Let us know what you think in the comments!