Have you been eating the same old boring breakfasts every morning? If so, try our Avocado & Egg Quesadilla recipe! These quesadillas are packed with protein from egg whites and turkey bacon, good fat from avocados, and added nutrients from spinach. It’s all sandwiched in a whole wheat tortilla with low-fat cheese to hold it together. Top it all off with a good spoonful of homemade Tex-Mex Salsa, and you’re ready to take on the day.
These quesadillas make a great grab-n-go breakfast when you’re in a hurry. You can even assemble them the night before and simply cook them in the morning. Breakfast has never been so skinny or tasted so good!
Yields: 4 servings | Calories: 272 | Total Fat: 19g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 84mg | Sodium: 371mg | Carbohdyrates: 13g | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 1g | Protein: 14g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 9
- 3 strips nitrate free turkey bacon, diced
- 1 cup spinach
- 1/4 teaspon Kosher salt
- 4 egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 4 (6-inch) whole grain tortillas
- 1/2 cup avocado, smashed
- 1 cup low fat shredded Monterrey jack cheese
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to low broil, or 500 degrees. Lightly spray a cookie sheet with nonstick spray.
- In medium skillet on medium heat cook bacon. When bacon just begins to turn crispy, add spinach and salt. Cook until spinach is wilted, then add eggs and scramble until cooked through.
- Lay two of the tortillas on the prepared cookie sheet. Spread half of the avocado on each tortilla. Top with scrambled egg mix and Monterrey jack cheese. Place a second tortilla on top and brush the exposed side with olive oil, saving some oil for the second side.
- Bake for 2 to 3 minutes, or until the tortilla begins to brown. Remove from oven and flip quesadilla, brush the new exposed side with remaining olive oil. Bake for an additional 2 to 3 minutes, until second side is lightly brown. Remove from oven and rest for a minute before slicing. If desired, serve with your favorite salsa!
What other protein-packed breakfast recipes do you like? Share your ideas with us in the comments!