As the calendar’s pages turns to summer, our thoughts turn to avocado recipes. This creamy, green treat is a clean eating fruit that feels like an indulgence. But despite its use as a creamy topping or a crave-worthy addition to salads and sandwiches, did you know that avocados contain twice as much potassium as bananas? They’re also rich in fiber and in oleic acid, a fat that helps our digestive tract absorb nutrients and contributes to heart health.
A perfect way of adding avocado to your diet is to enjoy it for breakfast! Instead of slathering boring butter on your toast, give your morning toast a hearty spread of avocado, with a splash of balsamic vinegar, a dash of extra virgin olive oil, a sprinkle of red pepper flakes, and a bit of salt and pepper. Don’t have the extra ingredients on hand? All it takes to make avocado sing is a touch of lemon juice and salt. You’ll be adding a nutritional boost to your morning toast, and the healthy fats and fiber in the avocado will make this toast recipe one that keeps you satisfied throughout the morning.
This avocado toast recipe is a fantastic way to start the day! Have any special toppings you’ll add to your avocado toast? Tell us your ideas in the comments!
Yields: 6 servings | Serving Size: 1 tablespoon avocado spread and 1 slice of toast | Calories: 140 | Total Fat: 6 g | Saturated Fat: 1 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Cholesterol: 0 mg | Sodium: 65 mg | Carbohydrates: 17 g | Dietary Fiber: 5 g | Sugars: 2 g | Protein: 5 g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 4 |
- 1 Avocado
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, more or less to taste
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 6 slices whole wheat or artisan bread
- Combine all ingredients, except toast, in a food processor, and pulse until smooth. Or, use a fork and mash avocado, along with the other ingredients, until smooth.
- Toast bread and spread each with approximately one tablespoon avocado spread. Sprinkle with additional red pepper flakes, if desired.
- TIP: Serve on burgers, sandwiches, or wraps.
Let us know how we’re doing! Tell us what you think about this post, and about the content you enjoy on our site, in the comments section.