Find a sweet new way to use avocado with these healthy vegan brownies!
Sure, at this point we all know avocados are for more than just chips and guac. But did you know that avocado can also be a delicious, healthy ingredient in your favorite desserts? This avocado vegan fudge brownie recipe is a sweet new way to try avocado for an after dinner treat!
Any avocado lovers have been on board with this trend for a while now. Avocados have been sweeping Pinterest and Instagram feeds for years. From salads and sandwiches to smoothies and toast, at this point, this once “exotic” fruit is EVERYWHERE now, and I’m certainly not complaining.
Like any good avocado lover, I’ll put avocado on just about anything. But if you’re like me, you may have some skepticism when it comes to putting avocado in your dessert. Trust me when I say that I actually like these brownies BETTER with the avocado. Honestly, brownies have never been my top pick when it comes to dessert. But I cannot get enough of these vegan avocado brownies.
That said, I may be giving avocado a lot of credit here, but if you ask me, millet is the real star of the show in this avocado vegan fudge brownie recipe.
What’s millet, you ask? In some ways, you can think of millet as the new quinoa. (But don’t worry, quinoa isn’t going anywhere.) It’s a gluten free super grain with tons of health benefits, including:
- Natural detoxing qualities
- Rich in vitamins, nutrients, protein, and fiber
- Full of heart healthy magnesium
- High fiber content helps aid digestion
In this avocado vegan fudge brownie recipe, millet also adds a delicious crunch and an extra touch of sweetness. You can get the best millet to use in this recipe here.
Along with avocado and millet, this recipe also uses cacao nibs, another ingredient you may not be super familiar with. Cacao nibs are a baking must have for chocolate lovers. They add the rich (but not bitter!) tase of pure chocolate in every bite of these brownies. Get them here!
I was always a little skeptical of the raw cacao trend. But truly, the rich flavor of real cacao is so much better than sugary chocolates and cocoa powder. Once you’ve tried the raw cacao in this recipe, you won’t be switching back anytime soon.
What about health benefits?
And speaking of raw cacao, some of its truly jaw-dropping health benefits include:
- Insane levels of antioxidants (we’re talking several times that of blueberries)
- Good source of iron and magnesium
- More calcium than milk
- Can help boost serotonin and other feel-food chemicals as a natural mood elevator and anti-depressant
Along with fun new healthy ingredients, this avocado vegan fudge brownie recipe also features some old favorites like bananas and peanut butter. Altogether, this recipe makes for rich, delicious, brownies that are healthy, chocolatey, and oh so moist.
And the best part of all? This avocado vegan fudge brownie recipe gives you yet another excuse to eat avocados. What more could you ask for?
Avocado Fudge Brownie Recipe
- 3 bananas large, overly ripe
- 1 avocado medium, ripe but not brown
- 1 cup peanut butter natural, crunchy or smooth
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup cacao powder raw (cocoa will work as well)
- 1/4 cup almond flour or almond meal
- 1/2 cup millet
- 1/4 cup cacao nibs
- 1/2 cup walnut pieces optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mash bananas and avocado well using a fork. There should be 2 cups of combined banana and avocado. If you're a little short, add more mashed banana. Add peanut butter and vanilla, beat the mixture or stir with a large spoon, until well combined.
- Combine cacao, almond meal, millet, cacao nibs, and walnuts if using. Mix with wet ingredients and beat or stir until well combined.
- Pour brownie mixture into a lightly oiled or parchment-lined 8x8-inch baking pan. Bake 30-35 minutes or until the top is no longer wet in the middle. Cool completely.
- Cover and refrigerate 2-3 hours before cutting. Store in fridge for up to 5 days.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
Looking for more vegan recipes? We’ve got you covered!