A better bagel is your path to a healthy weekday breakfast!
You know the routine. Drop by your favorite local bagel joint, and order up a dense white flour concoction, topped off with a giant schmear of your favorite “veggie” cream cheese. It’s healthy, you say? Well, we’ve got a quick and easy bagel recipe that will amp up your breakfast snack with loads more real, fresh veggies than any cream cheese might contain, replaces a high volume of low-quality cream cheese with a moderate volume of high quality Provolone, and urges you to ditch the white bagel for a whole wheat variety, with a fiber content boosted further by the addition of poppy seeds and sesame seeds.
First, choose your bagels wisely. Is the first ingredient on the package “whole grain”? That’s a great start. And if this bagel is coated with fiber-rich, nutritious seeds, that’s another bonus. Traditional bagels don’t contain a lot of nutrients per calorie, but a well-chosen bagel can give you a nutritional boost!
Selecting your toppings wisely can drastically reduce the amount of fat and calories you consume with your morning bagel, and, we promise, will taste a lot better than the stale toppings available at your local bagel chain. Add a few slices of mellow Provolone cheese to your bagel for protein and gooey cheesy goodness. Then top with sundried tomatoes and basil, two ingredients that complement one another perfectly. The antioxidants and vitamins in each bring the nutrient value of this breakfast to the next level!
Bagel with Sun-Dried Tomatoes & Provolone
- 1 whole-wheat bagel or whole-grain, of choice such as plain, sesame, poppy, or everything bagel
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 slices provolone cheese thin
- 2 tablespoons sun-dried tomatoes finely chopped (any variety that is jarred in olive oil)
- 3 basil leaves fresh, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano optional
- Cut the bagel in half. Toast if desired. Drizzle both halves with extra virgin olive oil.
- Sprinkle the dried oregano, if using.
- Distribute the cheese, sun-dried tomatoes & basil around the bagel.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms