Casseroles are classic dinner dishes, but they can be amazing breakfasts as well. Change up your morning routine; make a baked oatmeal casserole. It has tons of fiber, protein, vitamins, and minerals, and it’s way more fun that plain oatmeal! Strawberries, apple, and honey are naturally sweet, so you can satisfy your sweet tooth guilt free. This casserole also freezes well, which makes it perfect for busy mornings. Bake it in oven tins to freeze individual portions. The next time you need a sweet, hearty breakfast, heat one up, and your day is off to a great start.
Yields: 6 servings | Serving Size: 1 cup | Calories: 231 | Total Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 0mg | Sodium: 293mg | Carbohydrates: 39g | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 17g | Protein: 7g | SmartPoints: 9
- 2 cups old fashioned oats
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 1 cup sliced strawberries
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 1 large apple, diced small
- 2 egg whites
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 cups almond milk
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray an 8x8 pan with non-stick spray. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, combine oats, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and orange peel. Pour half into the prepared 8x8 pan. Top with half of the strawberries. apples. and almonds. Pour the remaining oat mixture on top of the fruit and top with remaining strawberries, apples, and almonds.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the egg and honey until they are well combined. Add almond milk and extract and stir well. Pour the liquid mixture over top of the fruit and oats in prepared pan. Shimmy the pan to make sure the liquid is evenly distributed and all of the oats are covered.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until the oatmeal is set and golden brown. If the fruit on top begins to over brown before the oatmeal is set, gently cover with aluminum foil and continue to bake. Remove from the oven and let cool for 15 minutes before serving warm.
- TIP: for a fast option, bake in a muffin tin. This will not only make individual servings which are easy to freeze, but decrease the baking time to 20 to 30 minutes!
Sign up for our newsletter to get more ideas for spicing up your mornings!