A yummy dish created by an awesome nutritionist and dietitian!
Photo Credit: www.foodnetwork.com
Ellie Krieger is the host of the Food Network program “Healthy Appetite.” Ellie brings a unique twist to her show because she is a registered dietitian and nutritionist, focusing on healthy, nutritious food. She encourages viewers to find practical ways to eat healthy and avoid crash dieting to maintain a healthy life filled with delicious meals.
Ellie is the author of several books, including Small Changes Big Results, The Food You Crave: Luscious Recipes for a Healthy Life, So Easy: Luscious Healthy Recipes for Every Meal of the Week, and Comfort Food Fix: Feel Good Favorites Made Healthy. Prior to starring in her television series, Ellie worked in the Department of Nutrition, Food Studies, and Public Healthy at NYU. She also spent time in private practice as dietitian, working with a wide variety of clients.
In addition to hosting the show, Ellie speaks at a variety of high profile events and has appeared on a number of different television shows sharing nutrition and cooking advice, including The CBS Early Show, Dr. Oz, and The Today Show. Ellie has also taken an active role in the First Lady’s “Let’s Move” campaign, sharing health and nutrition initiatives with young children. Personally, Ellie helped to establish a Wellness Committee at her daughter’s public school, which was recently the only New York City school to be awarded the Healthier US School Challenge award.
Ellie Krieger recipes are usually packed with fresh veggies, spices, and healthy alternatives to many common ingredients. This baked shrimp dish is a great alternative to meals made with meats that are high in saturated fat.
If you are in the mood for a creative, healthy meal, try Ellie Krieger’s baked shrimp with tomatoes and feta.
Baked Shrimp with Tomatoes and Feta by Ellie Krieger
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups onion medium, diced
- 2 teaspoons garlic minced (about 2 cloves)
- 29 ounces diced tomatoes no-salt-added, canned, with their juices
- 1/4 cup flat leaf parsley fresh, finely minced
- 1 tablespoon dill fresh, finely minced
- 1 1/4 pounds shrimp medium, peeled and deveined
- 1/4 teaspoon salt plus more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper freshly ground, plus more to taste
- 2/3 cup feta cheese crumbles (about 3 ounces)
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Heat the oil in an ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring, until softened, about 3 minutes, then add the garlic and cook for 1 minute more. Add the tomatoes and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and let simmer for about 5 minutes, until the tomato juices thicken. Remove from the heat.
- Stir in the parsley, dill, and shrimp and season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle the feta over the top. Bake until the shrimp are cooked through and cheese melts, about 12 minutes.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
Get the full recipe for Ellie’s Baked Shrimp with Tomatoes and Feta here.
Don’t miss out on the latest and greatest from Skinny Ms…
Be sure to subscribe to our daily enewsletter. Also, like our Facebook page and follow us on Pinterest for tasty recipes, clean eating tips, and healthy lifestyle resources.
For more delicious and nutritious recipes from Skinny Ms., check out our Skinny Ms. Recipe Collection of 101 Fan Favorites.
Do you have a favorite Skinny Ms. recipe? We’d love to hear about it. Tell us what you think in the comments section below.