Looking for healthy sweet potato recipes that don’t include brown sugar and butter? Look no further than these stuffed sweet potatoes filled with nothing but healthy, flavorful ingredients. Hearty kale simmered in coconut milk and spices is combined with chickpeas and other veggies for a heart-healthy, filing meal, that is sure to head to the top of your favorites list. It makes an impressive vegetarian main dish or a hearty side dish to a piece of fish or chicken.
Yields: 4 servings | Serving Size: 1 sweet potato and 1 cup filling| Calories: 464| Total Fat: 16 g | Saturated Fat: 5 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Cholesterol: 78 | Sodium: 122 mg | Carbohydrates: 70 g | Dietary Fiber: 16 g | Sugars: 6 g | Protein: 17 g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 9
- 4 medium sweet potatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium leeks, white and light green parts, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 1/2 cup chopped sun dried tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 pound kale leaves, chopped into bite sized pieces
- 1 cup light coconut milk
- 1 15 ounce can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- Plain yogurt, for serving
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Bake the sweet potatoes for one hour, or until tender, pricking with a fork halfway through cooking.
- About 20 minutes before the sweet potatoes are done baking, heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add the olive oil, followed by the leeks. Cook until soft, about 6 minutes. Add the garlic and ginger and cook for 30 seconds. Add the sun dried tomatoes, spices and kale, and stir until kale starts to wilt slightly. Add the coconut milk and chickpeas and simmer on low heat for about 10 minutes.
- To serve, split the baked sweet potatoes, top each with a quarter of the kale mixture and top with a dollop of plain yogurt.
Don’t miss out on the latest and greatest from Skinny Ms…
Be sure to subscribe to our newsletter. Also, like our Facebook page and follow us on Pinterest for tasty recipes, clean eating tips, and healthy lifestyle resources.
For more delicious and nutritious recipes from SkinnyMs., check out our SkinnyMs. Recipe Collection of 101 Fan Favorites.
Do you have a favorite SkinnyMs. recipe? We’d love to hear about it. Tell us what you think in the comments section below.