A dessert that is just as delicious as it is gorgeous!
Looking for a fun new dessert to try? Look no further than our best ever strawberry poke cake! Not only does it look incredible, but it tastes amazing too! Sweet vanilla cake and fruity strawberry filling make it an absolutely scrumptious treat that the entire family will adore.
What is a Poke Cake?
If you’ve never made (or eaten) a poke cake, you’re in for a real treat! A poke cake is essentially a baked cake that is poked full of holes! Yes, on purpose! Then, you pour the filling of your choice into those holes. Some popular options are caramelized condensed milk, melted peanut butter or nutella, fruit puree, pudding, and even jello mix (which is what we’ve selected for this strawberry poke cake!)
How to Make the Holes
The go-to tool for poking holes in your poke cake is to use the back of a wooden spoon. If for some reason you don’t have a wooden spoon available, you can also use a straw or any other kitchen tool that’s about the size of a pencil. Make sure your holes are about 1-inch apart. This will ensure your cake is able to hold up without becoming too crumbly. It will also guarantee there’s enough filling to go around!
Preparing this Pretty Dessert
Now you’re ready to make our best ever strawberry poke cake! As with most cakes, you’ll want to begin by preheating the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9 X 13-inch cake pan with nonstick spray and set it aside.
For the cake, we used Pillsbury Purely Simple white cake and cupcake mix, but you can use whatever you like. In a large bowl, whisk the cake mix, water, oil, and eggs until smooth. Pour the cake batter into the prepared pan and slide it into the oven. Bake it for 30 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the center of the cake. Once the cake is done, let it cool for about 20 minutes. Once cooled, poke holes in the cake. Bring the remaining cup of water to a boil in a small saucepan. Once boiling, remove it from the heat and whisk in the jello until it’s dissolved. Then, simply pour the jello over the cake and refrigerate it for 2 hours.
Top the poke cake with cool whip and garnish with a strawberry if you’d like!
Perfect Opportunities for Best Ever Strawberry Poke Cake
This lower sugar strawberry poke cake is the perfect dessert for a number of occasions. It’s an excellent choice for a summer time party or picnic because it’s light and fruity! It also makes an adorable birthday cake for a little girl’s birthday party, but it’s perfect for a baby shower (or even bridal shower) as well! You don’t need any special occasion to make the best ever strawberry poke cake though. It’s a wonderful treat any time of year!
Best Ever Strawberry Poke Cake
- 1 box of white cake mix
- 2 cups water divided
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 3 eggs
- 3 ounces package of strawberry jello sugar free
- 8 ounces cool whip light
- 16 strawberries optional, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350F. Spray a 9×13 baking pan with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk the cake mix, water, oil, and eggs until smooth. Pour the cake batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Once the cake is done, let it cool for 20 minutes, then poke holes in the cake with the back of a wooden spoon. Bring the other cup of water to boil in small saucepan. Then remove it from the heat and whisk in the jello until dissolved.
- Pour the jello over the cake and refrigerate for 2 hours. Top with cool whip before serving.
- We used Pillsbury Purely Simple Cake and Cupcake Mix – White.
- Coconut oil can be used in place of Canola.
- Non-dairy whipped topping can be used in place of Cool Whip.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
Are you going to try this scrumptious strawberry poke cake? If you do, let us know what you thought in the comment section!
If you enjoyed this recipe, we think you might also like to try:
For more delicious dessert recipes, follow us on Pinterest and like our Facebook page. You can also subscribe to our eNewsletter to get the latest and greatest content delivered directly to your inbox.