How many times have you seen a black bean burger as the lone vegetarian option on a lunch menu? Of course, black beans are a great source of protein and fiber. But, after a while, they all start to taste the same. That’s why these Black Bean Superfood Burgers put a unique spin on traditional black bean burgers. To make it stand out, we’ve added beets and quinoa, which pack extra superfood goodness! Flavorful spices make it oh so delicious, while the beets turn the patties a vibrant red color. Try this recipe so you’ll never have settle for a bland burger again.
Yields: 4 patties | Serving Size: 1 patty | Calories: 279 | Total Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 0mg | Sodium: 316mg | Carbohydrates: 46g | Fiber: 11g | Sugar: 4g | Protein: 14g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 8
- 1/2 cup cooked quinoa
- 1 cup shredded beets
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 8 ounces black beans (pre-cooked or canned)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Place all the ingredients into a food processor and pulse until it looks like ground meat. Heat olive oil on medium heat in a skillet. Form the beet mixture into four patties. Place on skillet and cook each side, 6-8 minutes each side.
- Serve on a salad, in a bun or just plain!
- Oven method: Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly oil a non-stick baking sheet or add parchment paper to a baking sheet. Bake 10 minutes, then flip and bake an additional 10-15 minutes. Enjoy!
Other recipes to enjoy:
What are your favorite ways to make veggie burgers? Let us know in the comments section below!