This vibrant rice salad pushes culinary boundaries.
This healthy Black Rice & Date Salad with Balsamic Vinaigrette pushes culinary boundaries. Unconventional ingredients like black rice, dried dates, and argula give the dish a unique kick your taste buds will never forget.
Arugula, dried fruit, and toasted nuts are tossed together and coated with a mouthwatering vinaigrette. The greens are layered on a bed of nutty black rice and topped with crumbled feta. The salad presentation is stunning!
Did we mention this dish is absolutely bursting with health benefits? Black rice packs in a wonderful dose of disease-fighting nutrients, while the dates and argula delivers a boatload of vitamins and antioxidants.
Black Rice & Date Salad with Balsamic Vinaigrette
- 1 cup black rice uncooked, rinsed well
- 1/4 cup walnut pieces
- 4 cups spring mix or baby spinach
- 1 cup dates halved
- 1/3 cup crumbled feta reduced-fat
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves finely minced
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Place the rice and 2 cups water in a pot over high heat and bring to a boil. Cover with a tight-fitting lid, reduce heat to lowest setting, and allow to simmer for 50 minutes.
- Strain any excess water from the rice, pressing down through a strainer. Rice should be chewy.
- Cool the rice by laying flat on a baking sheet, uncovered. and placing it in the fridge for 30 minutes to an hour.
- Meanwhile, toast the walnuts in a dry skillet over medium heat, stirring frequently for about 2 minutes, just until fragrant. Set aside on a plate to cool.
- Whisk together all of the ingredients for the dressing (except olive oil) until combined. Slowly drizzle olive oil into the combined dressing ingredients, whisking all the while.
- Add rice to a bowl. Add just enough vinaigrette to coat, while tossing.
- In a separate bowl, toss greens, dates, and nuts with enough vinaigrette to coat.
- Layer salad on a platter or bowl to serve. Start with the rice, add the dressed green salad mix, and lastly distribute the cheese crumbles on top.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
What superfoods do you want us to cook next? Let us know! Leave a comment below.