A simple salmon dish that tastes oh-so impressive!
I wouldn’t consider myself a huge seafood fan growing up, but I always had a soft spot for salmon. Unlike other seafood that carries a fishy aftertaste, salmon is super flavorful, and it contains enough heart-healthy fats enough to feel ultra-indulgent. You can prepare this beautiful fish in any number of ways, but this tasty Blackened Sockeye Salmon dish is one of our favorite recipes. Flaky, buttery sockeye salmon gets decorated with savory spices to boast a gorgeous presentation and a ton of flavor. We can almost guarantee this decadent recipe will become a new family obsession!
A Superfood Favorite
Salmon boasts an impressive nutritional resume. Not only does it rank high on the list of healthiest fish, but salmon is also considered one of the healthiest foods out there! The superfood packs in healthy fats and omega 3 fatty acids. Research shows these compounds can boost the immune system, aid in weight loss, and lower cholesterol. Meanwhile, salmon contains no saturated or trans fats.
Many who have made the switch to a heart-healthy diet have found no issues when substituting meaty salmon for red meat like steaks or burgers. With drool-worthy salmon recipes like these, we wouldn’t be surprised if you didn’t miss red meat one bit! Salmon carries a hearty richness that makes it so satisfying and delicious. And thanks to its protein-packed profile, this fabulous fish also makes a great post-workout dinner or breakfast food.
How to Make Blackened Sockeye Salmon
Our scrumptious salmon dish is a snap to make. It only takes five minutes of prep time and 15 to cook, so you’ll have this delicious recipe ready to eat in no time! First, combine the spices in a small bowl — we use dried thyme, garlic powder, dried oregano, paprika, black pepper, and cayenne pepper. Then, brush each side of the salmon with oil and distribute the spice mixture evenly on both sides of the salmon. Cook the prepared salmon for five to six minutes on each side. Once the exterior appears crispy and the interior can easily flake, your blackened sockeye salmon is ready to enjoy!
How to Serve Blackened Sockeye Salmon
Our Blackened Sockeye Salmon yields a crispy-on-the-outside, juicy-on-the-inside fish that’ll simply melt in your mouth. It’s terrific as a main course, but it also is a fantastic protein addition to salads or pasta dishes. You can also use this recipe in healthy sandwiches or serve it up burger-style straight from the grill. It pairs quite well with sweet and savory ingredients, especially fruit and barbecue seasonings.
So what are you waiting for? Spice up dinner with this recipe that seals in flavor and yields an incredible, crispy exterior!
Blackened Sockeye Salmon
- 12 ounces wild caught sockeye salmon fillets 4 pieces
- 2 tablespoons canola oil or coconut oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- kosher or sea salt to taste
- Combine spices in a small bowl.
- Brush each side of salmon with 1/2 tablespoon oil. Evenly distribute seasoning on both sides of salmon. Add remaining oil to a large skillet, heat to medium-high heat and add salmon. Reduce heat to medium and cook salmon 5-6 minutes on each side. The outside should be crispy and the salmon should easily flake with a fork.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
For more fabulous salmon-themed recipes that top the charts, check out some of our favorites below!
- Curried Salmon and Roasted Sweet Potatoes
- Mediterranean Greek Salmon with Orzo Recipe
- Smoked Salmon with Asparagus and Egg Salad
- Broiled Salmon with Avocado Grapefruit Salsa
- Pan Seared Salmon with Thai Vegetables
Editor’s Note: This recipe was originally published on July 1, 2013.