Broccoli and cheese stuffed chicken breast is a dinnertime classic. You can find several highly processed versions in the freezer-food section of every grocery store. The photo on front looks amazing, but turn that package around and you’ll see a long list of ingredients you don’t want in your body.
Our version takes all the ‘yum’ of the traditional dish, and takes out all of the ‘yuck.’ Made with fresh, white chicken breast, loaded with a healthy broccoli and cheese mixture (that’s more broccoli than cheese!) and coated in a delicious almond and whole wheat coating, our recipe is then baked to tender perfection in just about 30 minutes. The final result? A delicious meal with all of your favorite flavors, and none of your least favorite ingredients!
Yields: 4 servings | Serving Size: 1 stuffed chicken breast | Calories: 530 | Total Fat: 26 g | Saturated Fat: 7 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Cholesterol: 94 mg | Sodium: 234 mg | Carbohydrates: 36 g | Dietary Fiber: 3 g | Sugars: 1 g | Protein: 36 g | SmartPoints: 15
- 4 chicken breasts
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- ½ cup reduced-fat sharp cheddar
- 2 ounces fat free cream cheese
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- ¾ cup almond flour*
- ½ cup white whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ cups olive oil
- SPECIAL EQUIPMENT: Poultry twine or toothpicks
- *to make your own almond flour, put all of the ingredients in a blender or food processor and pulse with the whole wheat flour until all of the almonds are ground into the flour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- With a very sharp knife, butterfly each of the chicken breasts by cutting them through the center with a very sharp knife. Do not cut all the way through, leave an edge uncut so you can open the chicken breasts into a large, flat “butterfly” piece.
- In a food processor, pulse together broccoli, cheese, cream cheese, and garlic. The mixture is ready when the broccoli is coarsely chopped, and it begins to hold together in a clump.
- Scoop this mixture into the center of each butterflied chicken breast, molding it to fit into the center of the chicken.
- Roll the chicken like a burrito around the broccoli filling. Use poultry twine or toothpicks to secure the breast around the filling, covering the filling completely.
- In a small bowl, whisk together almond flour, white wheat flour, paprika, garlic salt, onion powder, and pepper. Drizzle chicken with olive oil, then dip into the almond-flour mixture, coating it completely.
- Place coated chicken into a 9x13 baking dish. Once all chicken breasts have been coated and placed in the baking dish, brush olive oil over the coating (this will help it brown and crisp as it cooks). Bake for 25-30 minutes, just until the chicken is cooked through. Allow chicken to set for 10 minutes before slicing and serving. Remove poultry twine before serving.