These are perfect as an appetizer or even a nutritious vegetarian entree
In our opinion, the combination of fresh tomatoes, creamy mozzarella, and tangy basil in a traditional Caprese salad can’t be topped! Except, maybe, by putting it all in a portobello mushroom. That’s why we made these Caprese Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms! By using part-skim mozzarella and skipping the dressing, you’ll get all the delicious flavors of a Caprese salad with only a fraction of the calories.
These are perfect as an appetizer or even a nutritious vegetarian entree. Drizzle with some balsamic vinegar upon presentation to add a tangy pop!
Caprese Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil divided
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 2 portobello mushrooms stems and insides removed
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup spinach
- 1 cup tomatoes diced
- 2 ounces mozzarella cheese part-skim, fresh
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon basil fresh, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine two tablespoons olive oil and clove of minced garlic in a small bowl. Brush mixture on inside and outside of portabella mushrooms. Sprinkle with salt.
- In sauté pan, heat remaining olive oil on medium heat. Sauté spinach until wilted. Spoon half the spinach into each mushroom, and top with diced tomato followed by mozzarella.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
Adapted from Lexi’s Clean Kitchen.
Tried it and loved it? Give us your opinion in the comments!