Want to enjoy muffins without the guilt? Look no further! Our carrot and zucchini muffins are made with whole grains, which contain fiber that keeps the heart and digestive tract healthy, and aids in weight management. Using vitamin-rich vegetables for moisture along with high-protein, low-fat buttermilk, our whole grain muffin recipe is both nutritious and delicious.
Yields: 16 servings/muffins | Serving Size: 1 muffin | Calories: 177 | Total Fat: 8 g | Saturated Fat: 1 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Cholesterol: 12 mg | Sodium: 114 mg | Carbohydrates: 23 g | Dietary Fiber: 2 g | Sugars: 10 g | Protein: 4 g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 6 |
- 1 1/2 cups White Whole Wheat Flour
- 2 tablespoons wheat germ
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup granola (recipe for Granola)
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 large egg, slightly whipped
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup finely grated zucchini, with peeling
- ½ cup finely grated carrot, peeled
- 1 cup low-fat buttermilk
- ½ cup granola
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine streusel ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together dry ingredients, set aside. Add remaining ingredients to a medium mixing bowl, stir until combined. Pour wet ingredients into dry and stir just until moist.
- Line muffin tin with paper cup holders or mist with nonstick cooking spray. Fill tins to 2/3 full, add approximately 1 teaspoon streusel to the top of each muffin. Bake 15-17 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean and muffins are golden.