What’s our idea of the perfect appetizer? It combines three must-have qualities. First, it features a superfood ingredient that’s packed with vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. Second, it combines that superfood with a complementary ingredient that it so delectable, it makes each bite a treasure. And third, it needs a beautiful presentation, one that makes it stand out on the plate and draws the eye of our guests!
OK, we left out another very important quality of any great, healthy appetizer recipe: ease of preparation! These roasted bell pepper rolls contain only three ingredients, and are a cinch to put together. Whether your friends and family are texting to let you know that they’re stopping by, or you’re running late to a potluck, simply roast your peppers while you get dressed and ready, and then roll them with your cream cheese and sprinkle with chives for a combination of flavors and colors that will wow everyone who samples them!
When bell peppers are roasted, their sweet flavor is intensified, making them a delicious veggie ingredient. And cream cheese, with its creamy texture and mild flavor, pairs perfectly with your peppers for a delicious taste combo. Chives round out the flavor profile, and give these healthy veggie appetizers a distinctive look that will dress up any appetizer platter! Your guests will be eager for second helpings!
Yields: 8 servings | Serving Size: 1 stuffed pepper | Calories: 59 | Total Fat: 4 g | Saturated Fat: 2 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Cholesterol: 13 mg | Sodium: 118 mg | Carbohydrates: 4 g | Dietary Fiber: 1 g | Sugars: 3 g | Protein: 2 g | SmartPoints: 3
- 2 bell peppers, preferably red or yellow
- 7 ounces low-fat cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons diced chives
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place the whole bell peppers on a baking sheet and bake for 40 - 45 minutes.
- Use tongs and immediately place in a heat proof bowl, cover and seal the top with foil or plastic wrap for 15-20 minutes. When peppers have cooled enough to handle, remove the peelings. Slice peppers in half and remove stem and seeds. Slice each pepper vertically once more, for a total of 8 slices.
- Lay each slice on a plate then pat it dry with a paper towel. Spread 1-2 tablespoons of cheese over each slice and sprinkle with chives. Roll peppers and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Tip: If there's any leftover cheese spread, enjoy on wheat crackers or as a veggie dip.
More Delicious Recipes with Peppers:
Find out what makes our Facebook and Pinterest so popular by joining our community of followers! And stay up to date on recipes, workouts, and other healthy lifestyle tips by subscribing to our newsletter.
We love to hear from our readers! Please comment on this post and let us know what you think!