Zucchinis are trending. Due to their incredible versatility and nutritional value, we’re not surprised! The superfood does more than simply add great flavor to your dish. It carries a host of health benefits thanks to its many anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties.
We’re proud to cast the spotlight on zucchini in this Cheesy Mushroom & Zucchini Pasta dish! In this recipe, the tasty veggie is put through a spiralizer, yielding long, glorious ribbons. As a result, these savory strands mimic spaghetti noodles in appearance and taste! Noodles are drenched in a mouthwatering, gravy-like mixture of savory ingredients like parmesan cheese, sautéed mushrooms, garlic, and flat-leaf parsley. Red pepper flakes add a touch of zest to the equation, while fresh basil leaves provide a bold, tasty finish.
The best part? Since a nourishing veggie subs in for actual noodles, this recipe slashes calories and carbs so you can dig into a plate of pasta without worrying about your waistline.
Yields: 8 servings | Calories: 122 | Total Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 20mg | Sodium: 163mg | Carbohydrates: 8g | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 5g | Protein: 6g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 5
- 4 medium zucchini, peeled and ends removed
- 3 tablespoons Ghee, optional butter
- 1 cup diced button mushrooms
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 heaping tablespoons flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/4 cup loosely packed flat-leaf parsley
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Fresh basil for garnish, optional
- Place zucchini on a vegetable spiralizer. Use the smaller holes and make spaghetti pasta.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add 1 tablespoon ghee or butter and sauté mushrooms until slightly soft, about 3 minutes. Add zucchini pasta and cook until tender, about 6-7 minutes. Place pasta in a serving dish and cover tightly.
- In the same skillet over medium heat, add the remaining 2 tablespoons ghee or butter and stir to melt.
- Add flour and cook for 1 minute while stirring continuously. Pour in broth and milk and stir until it reaches a gravy-like consistency. Add parsley, 1/2 cup parmesan, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes and stir until cheese melts.
- Pour gravy over zucchini pasta and toss to combine. Sprinkle with additional parmesan and fresh basil, if desired.
Be sure to check out some of our other Zucchini Dishes.
We love hearing from our readers. Let us know what you thought about this article or anything else on the site. Leave a comment in the section below.