One skillet. Easy prep.
One skillet means easy preparation and minimal clean-up, which makes this Cheesy Skillet Bean and Veggie Taco Meal a weeknight favorite! It’s loaded with veggies, including zucchini, mushrooms, squash, and pepper, and it gets a big hit of protein from black beans and cheddar cheese. This crowd-pleaser is healthy, satisfying, and comforting. Your friends and family will be delighted to dig in!
One Pot Meal Recipe
Cheesy Skillet Bean & Veggie Taco
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup red onion diced
- 4 ounces mixed mushroom slices
- 1 zucchini small
- 1 yellow squash small
- 1/2 red bell pepper seeded, cored, and diced
- 15 ounces black beans can, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt more to less to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 cup salsa no sugar added
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese reduced-fat
- 1/2 cup tomatoes diced
- 2 green onions sliced
- Slice zucchini and squash in half lengthwise and then into 1/4-in slices. Add oil to a large skillet, turn to medium heat, and sauté onion, mushrooms, zucchini, squash, and bell pepper until desired tenderness. I prefer to cook the veggies just until tender when pierced with a fork, about 3 to 5 minutes. Add black beans, spices, and salsa. Stir and cook until warm, about 2 minutes.
- Sprinkle with cheese, cover, and cook just until melted, about 2 minutes. Sprinkle with diced tomatoes and green onions. Remove from heat and serve in individual dishes or add to taco shells or tortillas. For healthy tortillas, try our Homemade Whole Grain Tortillas.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms